Silicone caulk/sealing the tip

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Salty
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 690
    • Akron, Ohio

    #1

    Silicone caulk/sealing the tip

    Hey all. I made a discovery and wanted to share it here.
    Maybe someone already figured this out but it's new to me.
    One of the most annoying things I find is un-cloging the end of a caulking tube before re-use. About 3 weeks ago I opened a new tube of silicone and just used a small amount. I wiped off the end real good and brushed on some liquid electrical tape made by PlastiDip. I think it is the same stuff that is in the larger cans but this is in a small brush top can. I smeared some on the upper 1" or so making sure I got a good coverage on the open end. When I pealed it off today to use it again, it flowed like I had just cut the end open and used it for the first time.
    I think I'll try this on all my caulking tubes.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #2
    Now that's a new one I haven't heard. Sounds like it makes sense. Also sounds easy enough. Seems like the tube would have to be put someplace so as not to get disturbed. Thanks for the tip.

    Most of the tubes I use of anything are at least $2.00 and up. I've tried everything common, like nails, screws, wire nuts, rubber automotive vacuum caps, and even Saran Wrap with a twist tie. Really aggravating and a waste of money to have to throw away tubes that are 1/2 full, or have some left. There is a product called Little Red Caps, that are specifically meant for tube caps, but I haven't tried them yet.

    Comment

    • Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • 2091
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

      #3
      I use a stainless nail or screw and a few wraps of electrical tape.

      Comment

      • herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • 1867
        • New York City
        • bt3100

        #4
        Nice! You can also get small rubber caps from lowes, about 100 for $2.00. They come in 3 different sizes to fit the size you cut the tube to. I just add masking tape and it's kept it fresh for over 6 months. The bottom line is anything that keeps air away from the exposed caulk.
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

        Comment

        • THyman
          Established Member
          • Feb 2005
          • 315
          • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

          #5
          Originally posted by cabinetman
          Now that's a new one I haven't heard. Sounds like it makes sense. Also sounds easy enough. Seems like the tube would have to be put someplace so as not to get disturbed. Thanks for the tip.

          Most of the tubes I use of anything are at least $2.00 and up. I've tried everything common, like nails, screws, wire nuts, rubber automotive vacuum caps, and even Saran Wrap with a twist tie. Really aggravating and a waste of money to have to throw away tubes that are 1/2 full, or have some left. There is a product called Little Red Caps, that are specifically meant for tube caps, but I haven't tried them yet.

          I've used those "little Red caps" They work very well and you can reuse them. I think Rockler sells them.
          War Eagle!

          Comment

          • hermit
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • 379
            • Somerset, PA, USA.

            #6
            For pure Silicone (like the clear RTV) one of the best things you can do is squeeze a little "snake" out the end and let it dry. It'll pull out like a cork and leave the hole in the tube like new. It works good when you have a large hole in the end, not as well with a small hole. It may not work for a year storage, but does work quite well. Acrylics not as good.

            Todd

            Comment

            • Salty
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 690
              • Akron, Ohio

              #7
              Originally posted by cabinetman
              Now that's a new one I haven't heard. Sounds like it makes sense. Also sounds easy enough. Seems like the tube would have to be put someplace so as not to get disturbed. Thanks for the tip.

              Most of the tubes I use of anything are at least $2.00 and up. I've tried everything common, like nails, screws, wire nuts, rubber automotive vacuum caps, and even Saran Wrap with a twist tie. Really aggravating and a waste of money to have to throw away tubes that are 1/2 full, or have some left. There is a product called Little Red Caps, that are specifically meant for tube caps, but I haven't tried them yet.
              Actually the stuff is really tough when it is dry. I had to work at it to get it off the end.
              I wondered about those little red caps. May have to get some.
              Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

              Comment

              • jaybee
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • 157
                • Regina, SK, Canada
                • BT3100-1

                #8
                little red caps

                We are getting to the end of a "to the bare walls" kitchen remodel ... I fully endorse "little red caps". They can be unrolled and rerolled many times. Work well with both glue and caulk.

                Comment

                • eccentrictinkerer
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • 669
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • BT-3000, 21829

                  #9
                  I use my dads' old trick of jamming the tip into a wax ring (toilet seal - about $1 each) several times. This forces wax into the tip.

                  This has worked better than anything else I've tried.
                  You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                  of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

                  Comment

                  • eccentrictinkerer
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 669
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • BT-3000, 21829

                    #10
                    Oops! Double post.
                    Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 09-02-2007, 01:31 AM.
                    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

                    Comment

                    • Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 6021
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

                      #11
                      I've been using a nail and electrical tape, but it sounds like there are some good tips on this thread.

                      Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

                      For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • 7091
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

                        #12
                        I'll cast another vote for the little red rubbers.

                        Comment

                        • scorrpio
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 1566
                          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

                          #13
                          http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=353

                          Works like a charm for me. Use it to tool a bead real neat, and then cap a partially used tube with it. Both HD and Lowes have them.

                          Comment

                          Working...