Children's Desk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ars_lurker
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • 99
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829/'59 Delta Unisaw

    #1

    Children's Desk

    I found this plan in my old Wood Magazine and wondered if anyone on this board had built or seen one of these finished? Any thoughts or advice welcome. Thanks.

    http://woodstore.net/kidsoakdesk.html

    Mike
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • 2553
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

    #2
    If I'm looking at this desk correctly the side panel is open toward the front and toward the rear. I don't think that I'd like to see the drawer sides. Of coures, there may be a recessed piece there - I can't tell.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      Originally posted by ars_lurker
      I found this plan in my old Wood Magazine and wondered if anyone on this board had built or seen one of these finished? Any thoughts or advice welcome. Thanks.

      http://woodstore.net/kidsoakdesk.html

      Mike
      I've never bought a plan, but have made many pieces similar to that one. If you decide to buy a plan, there will be help here to guide you through. If you choose to learn how to develop your own plan, there will be help here on how to do that. The principles in making your own plan are basic for designing most any furniture from inception to developing a cutlist.
      .

      Comment

      • drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • 3338
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

        #4
        I'm with Cabinetman, never built anything from a plan. I do my own plans, and I encourage giving it a try. Regardless, I've built desks before, and they are fun. There are many ways to approach the joinery, the drawers, etc...

        I would start by going to some furniture places with your rule in hand, and get some general dimensions.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

        Comment

        • Thalermade
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2002
          • 791
          • Ohio
          • BT 3000

          #5
          Before you buy the plans, try to locate:
          Wood Magazine November 2002 (Issue 145) page 88.

          This desk was the 3rd part of a childrens bedroom set series.

          I don't have the magazine any more.

          Russ

          Comment

          • scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • 1566
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

            #6
            Originally posted by ironhat
            If I'm looking at this desk correctly the side panel is open toward the front and toward the rear. I don't think that I'd like to see the drawer sides. Of coures, there may be a recessed piece there - I can't tell.
            While the side panels indeed have those vertical openings, the drawer unit seems to be fully enclosed in a box of its own. In particular, if you enlarge the picture, you can see that drawers are not visible in the slots.

            That said, gotta be a desk for some ultra-tidy, minimalist kid with aversion to computers. When I design a desk for my kid, it'll have place to accomodate a PC, hide and organize the usual rat's nest of wires, and will have about 10x amount of storage...

            Comment

            • ars_lurker
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2006
              • 99
              • Iowa
              • Craftsman 21829/'59 Delta Unisaw

              #7
              I have the magazine so I won't need to purchase the plans. I thought it looked like a good place to start and with some customization it would serve.

              House rules are that computer time is supervised and time limited. So no computer in her room at this point. However, you got me thinking that If I made the drawer section more modular, I could remove the bottom 2 drawers at some future time and have a door cover the space. A computer would fit in there then and I could louver the door or something for airflow.

              Thanks for the tips. I got a lot of good feedback on my last project I posted here and it has been a while since I did a project so I am itching to get started.

              Comment

              Working...