• Show
Clear All
  • Mrk67mark
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Ocean Springs, MS
    • Grizzly G0478 hybrid

Cabinet question

We just bought a new front load washer/dryer and I'm planning on building cabinets to surround them. My wife and I both like light colored woods like birch or maple, the problem is the closest company that sells hardwoods around here is 100+ miles away. So I'm stuck with either Lowe's or BORG's red oak, poplar or select pine. Is there any way to get a maple-like finish from any of these woods or should I bite the bullet and drive. I do have a planer and jointer so I can buy rough cut lumber if needed. Thanks for any advice.
    Mark
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

The Lowe's around me sells oak, poplar, and maple in their hardwoods aisle. You might want to doublecheck your local Lowes and see if they either stock maple, or can special order it for you.
    -Joe

Comment

• cbrown
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Massachusetts
      • BT3100

If you handpick the poplar, you can find pieces with a relatively attractive brown/cream color rather than the green/grey that help to make it usually a "paint-grade" choice. It won't really look like maple, but you might be able to get a similar "light" aesthetic.

Chris

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

Are you SURE you can't get wood any closer?

I live in Iowa (no, it's not heaven) and even I have no less then 10 places to buy hardwood within a 30 mile radius of me.

I think if you really try you could find it locally. Any cabinet shops in the area? Try them...
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• ksum
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2007

The local BORGs here have maple. It is hidden on the back wall in while everything else is pretty much in aisles. Not sure how much you will need, but it may save you money to drive the 100 miles. Are you looking at using solid wood panels, or hardwoon ply? I am building a vanity and bench using cherry ply and it is much nicer than building anels for the doors and sides. I think it may be cheaper too, but then again, I didn't have to drive as far.

Comment

• stormdog74
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Sacramento, CA
            • Ridgid TS3650

Where I live both Lowes and HD sell maple and birch plywood -birch can be finished to look very similar to maple. As to solid maple, only one HD carries it in my area - out of several stores - so that is probably harder to find locally. I think if you look around you could find plywood that would work though and use the iron on edging.

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

Internetlumber.com sells hobby paks (20 board ft) of a variety of hardwoods for $200 or less including shipping to your front door. Check them out I think the hard maple is around $170 for the hobby pack, soft maple is less.
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• hermit
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Somerset, PA, USA.

Don't forget about checking with local lumberyard. They may not stock the maple you need, but I'll bet they can get it. I special ordered some cedar from a local place to make some garage doors. Lowes carries the 3/4 in stock but I needed some 2x4 stock. I started looking around, then this place said they can order anything I need, even if they don't stock it. Worked out well.

Todd

Comment

• gwyneth
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Bayfield Co., WI

Here are a couple of information resources that may help you find a supplier closer to home.

A search of the National Hardwood Lumber Association shows 43 Mississippi businesses (because members of NHLA tend to be really big, some may not sell retail):

This group has a list of mills (link at right):

Mississippi Lumber Manufacturers Association

Other prospects include the Biloxi Lumber Co., 84 Lumber in Moss Point, and a bunch in Gulfport: Klumb Forest Products, Mobile Lumber and Mill, Bailey Lumber, and All Star Forest. Over in Mobile, there's also Bayou Lumber and Buchanan.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by gwyneth
                    Here are a couple of information resources that may help you find a supplier closer to home.

A search of the National Hardwood Lumber Association shows 43 Mississippi businesses (because members of NHLA tend to be really big, some may not sell retail):

This group has a list of mills (link at right):

Mississippi Lumber Manufacturers Association

Other prospects include the Biloxi Lumber Co., 84 Lumber in Moss Point, and a bunch in Gulfport: Klumb Forest Products, Mobile Lumber and Mill, Bailey Lumber, and All Star Forest. Over in Mobile, there's also Bayou Lumber and Buchanan.

Don't let anyone ever say you don't get around. I know who to ask in the future.

Comment

• gwyneth
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Bayfield Co., WI

Forgot to put in Newman in Gulfport and Classic Hardwoods and Milling in Mobile.

Plus, Magnolia Wood Works in Pascagoula may not sell wood (just woodworking stuff) but almost certainly knows some local sources.

Comment

• Mrk67mark
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2006
                        • Ocean Springs, MS
                        • Grizzly G0478 hybrid

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I did manage to locate a furniture store (Dedeaux Clan Furniture) about 25 miles away that sells all kinds of hardwoods and softwoods. I picked up 26 bf of birch, S2S, for $4.35 a bf. Don't know if thats a good price, but I was just glad to find some. Thanks again to all who advised.
                        Mark

Comment

Working...