Delta Contractors Saw Mods

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ssmith1627
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 704
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #1

    Delta Contractors Saw Mods

    Hey guys. Needed my new saw a couple inches higher to match my workbench that I normally use for infeed support. Also needed it up a couple of inches to clear the fence on my jointer which I put to the left side of the saw.

    So I built a shelf -- 2x4 frame with plywood top and maple trim. What a job -- lifted the saw up off the stand with concrete blocks, 2x4's and bottle jacks, just enough to get the shelf in place. Turned out to be a lot of work. The bolts now go through the saw, through the shelf frame and into the stand.

    Also moved the rails over about 12 inches -- had to drill new holes for the bolts front and back. Gives me about 43" of ripping capacity now so I'm happy.

    http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v..._0805Smith0095

    http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v..._0805Smith0096

    Now I have to find some plans I'm happy with for a router table / cabinet I can mount in that right side to replace the small table there now. And I want to build another cabinet behind whose top will be the outfeed table.

    Does everyone else spend this much time setting up shop ?? I know I spend 3 times as much time working on shop stuff as I do actually building things ! haha

    Steve
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • 3815
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

    #2
    That's a pretty slick solution...kudos to your approach. Nothing wrong with spending time improving the shop...I enjoy that at least as much as I do the other aspects of wwing. It pays off in the long run, makes it "your" space, and ends up to be something you'll enjoy more because of your efforts....
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

    Comment

    • eddy merckx
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • 359
      • Western WA
      • Shop Fox Cabinet

      #3
      Does everyone else spend this much time setting up shop ?? I know I spend 3 times as much time working on shop stuff as I do actually building things
      Ugh, don't know what you're talking about (eyes shifting from side to side).

      Eddt

      Comment

      • cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • 4503
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

        #4
        Originally posted by ssmith1627
        I know I spend 3 times as much time working on shop stuff as I do actually building things ! haha

        Steve
        Only three times?

        I like the solution though. Once of the things I've always like about the BT3000 saw is that is 2-3 inches higher than other contractor saws. Really helps because I also use it for a router table. Saves the back.

        I like your solution, though, because it gives you room to set things that you use around the saw. Extra blade, fence, etc. Very clever and nicely executed.

        Comment

        • ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • 2553
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

          #5
          Yep, nice forethought by making the space into two functional shelves. I always come up with the good ideas after I've already accomplished the bad ones.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

          Comment

          • ssmith1627
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2005
            • 704
            • Corryton, TN, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

            #6
            Got the new tape in place last night. Man, they couldn't make it any easier to apply one of those since they already have the adhesive backing. Already put it to use -- building a storage cabinet to sit under an outfeed table.

            I'm going to have my jointer left of my table saw. My bandsaw is about 6 feet in front of my table saw so I'm going to move that over to the right to sit beside my planer. Going to build a router table into the right end of the table saw which frees up the space the router table takes now. With my bandsaw out of the way, I should have 8 feet of room available for ripping.

            My wife is ready for me to start work on a dresser for our foster son but I told her I couldn't function until I had these other things out of the way ! haha

            Steve

            Comment

            • Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • 3822
              • York, PA, USA.
              • 22124

              #7
              Originally posted by ssmith1627

              Does everyone else spend this much time setting up shop ?? I know I spend 3 times as much time working on shop stuff as I do actually building things ! haha

              Steve
              I have always tried to avoid doing that. Recently I have started trying to get things set up a little better. This has brought heat on me from my wife. She wants her stuff done and done now. Her thought is Norm doesnt have to build all this nonsense . . . why do I? Made sure she saw this weeks episode where he built miter saw stand . . .

              Comment

              Working...