X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BT3 WOODOG
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

"Dado Storage"

How do You guys store Your Dado blades? Pictures please!!!
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

This isn't very helpful but my Freud set came with a very nice plastic holder.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Oooh! Give me a day. I'm hoping to finish my blade garage tomorrow night. It will hold ten blades plus a dado set (which I never, ever use). I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

Comment

• BT3 WOODOG
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2007

I'll be waiting!!!

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I keep my SD206 in the original plastic case. The handle is notched for pegboard hooks.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Thom2
              Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
              • Jan 2003
              • Stevens, PA, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

all 4 of mine are in their original packing right now ... 2 freud's and 2 HF's ..

The freuds will always stay in their packing because freud was just smart about it, the freud caddy holds the blades, chippers and shims all in one nice compact unit.

The HF's will probably stay in their packing as well until I store them in a trash can
              If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
              **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I also use the original packing cage for the blades for the Forrest set.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by BT3 WOODOG
                  I'll be waiting!!!
                  Ok...guilted me into it.

This is an old wooden case I modified for my former Freud 208 that had chippers with 2 teeth....this pic was staged just for viewing purposes. My DW set has 4 tooth chippers and doesn't fit (or need it), I substituted some shim stock to represent where the Freud chippers went...they don't show up well, but if you use your imagination a bit you'll "get the picture". The dowel held all the chippers in place....simple, crude, and functional.

Last edited by Knottscott; 08-04-2007, 05:39 PM.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BT3 WOODOG
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2007

Hey,it works!!!

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

My blades including my Freud dado set are in a drawer under the BT3100. I use 1/4 thick waferboard scrap with a 3/4 hole in the center to separate the blades. I do the same thing with the outer blades and the chippers of the dado set. The bottom of the drawer if 7/16 water and I glued 5/8 dowel that was a little undersized to holes in the bottom of the drawer. It takes a minute to take off the top blades to get bottom blades out but the blades are always handy and the drawer also has slots for the wrenches and space for shims (they lay loose).

Jim

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

Okay, here is my solution. I have a Forrest 6" Dado King that I never use (too much trouble to install). I purchased it before I built my router table. Still, I keep it in case some day I need to make lots and lots dados.

I also have about seven or eight blades, and wanted a way to organize those, too. So I built a little blade garage to hold everything.

Just a simple BB box made from a bunch of scraps. Blades sit on pieces of 1/4" hardboard that slide into slots in the cabinet. There is 1/2" between each sliding shelf. To keep the blades aligned (so it looks nice) and to prevent them from sliding around if I pickup the entire cabinet, I used some push-on nuts (the kind you'd use to hold wheels on a small children's wagon). I simply drilled a recess in the hardboard using a 15/16" Forstner bit and glued the push-on nuts in.

The dado shelf takes two spaces and uses a 1" long spacer from McMaster (#92319A772). This spacer has a hex (minor) width of 1/2", which means it fits the inside of a 5/8" arbor hole very nicely. It is fully threaded (1/4"-20). So I screwed a machine screw through the bottom of the tray and into the spacer. Then I placed a 9/16" fender washer over it, then the dado stack, then a neoprene washer, steel washer, and finally a 1/4"-20 Phillips head screw to secure it all.

A couple of other design considerations. I knew the dado set would be heavier than the other blades and may cause that shelf to sag. So I left enough room between the bottom shelf and the bottom of the cabinet so the 1/4" hex-head bolt would just fit and would rest on the bottom of the cabinet--no sag.

I also put some extra holes under the blade trays to make getting them off the shelves a little easier.

Also, I made it so the blades normally sit towards the front of the tray. But as a blade dulls, I can turn the tray around and then the blade will be tucked towards the back. Once I have a few blades towards the back, I can gather 'em up and send them out for sharpening.

Very happy with it. Nothing fancy, but very practical and it cleans up my disorganized pile of blades. Plus I have room for a few more blades.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• DonHo
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                          • Craftsman 21829

Here's my solution for a dado blade holder. I have the same type holder for my regular blades, just on a larger scale.

DonHo
                          Attached Files
                          Don

Comment

• jgscott987
                            Established Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Greensboro, NC, USA.
                            • BT3100 +

My saw blade holder...

Comment

Working...