Wood Putty

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Wood Putty

    I want something that performs like Bondo - exterior rated, won't shrink, rot, crack, you can drill/sand/paint/etc but I want something with a longer open time. I am prepping a wood door for painting and I think I wasted about 40% of what I mixed because I only have a few minutes working time with it.

    I have some Durham's Rock Hard but don't like it. PITA to mix for small amounts (normally what I do) and I don't like the way it works.

    Any suggestions?
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 1134
    • Bayfield Co., WI

    #2
    What kind of size, area, depth are you trying to fill?

    A boat-builders' supply place, such as www.defender.com, has all kinds of resins, hardeners, fillers that can be mixed up to do almost anything. Fillers can include wood flour, fiberglass strands, dog hair, etc. The hardener can be varied to slow or speed working time, too.

    Comment

    • grits
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2006
      • 42
      • New Iberia, La.
      • Ryobi BT3000

      #3
      PL Fix. I use it on all the cabinets I build. I get it at Lowes. Sands and takes a stain real good.

      Heres a link...... http://www.stickwithpl.com/
      www.acadian-woodworks.com

      Comment

      • cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • 15216
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

        #4
        You can slow down Bondo some by reducing the amount of hardner. Even if you think you haven't got enough in the mix it will dry. I think there is a line of distinction between the recommended mix and not having enough (when it won't ever dry).
        .

        Comment

        • crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • 10627
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

          #5
          Originally posted by gwyneth
          What kind of size, area, depth are you trying to fill?
          All kinds. Bondo is the best 1 size fits all that I've found except for the open time. A few weeks ago when I hung a new door I had to move the striker plate and latch so I used it to fill the hole in the doorframe where the old one went. This door I am working on I am filling some cracks, old nail holes, etc. I am also using it to build up a munged up corner along the hinge edge.
          David

          The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

          Comment

          • gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 1134
            • Bayfield Co., WI

            #6
            Easiest way to extend Bondo open time is cooling it down. Some people put the unmixed stuff in the fridge for a few hours before stirring it up; back in the old road racing days some would rig up an ice chest or cooler.

            If you have one of those freeze-core plastic mugs, it makes a great holder for a container of mixed Bondo.

            Comment

            • crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • 10627
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

              #7
              Originally posted by gwyneth
              Easiest way to extend Bondo open time is cooling it down.
              Hmm... well then part of my problem is working outside on a 90+ degree day.
              David

              The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

              Comment

              • gwyneth
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • 1134
                • Bayfield Co., WI

                #8
                Originally posted by crokett
                Hmm... well then part of my problem is working outside on a 90+ degree day.
                Yep, all you've got to do is...chill.

                Comment

                Working...