• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

Cutting AL angle with CMS

I have successfully cut AL angle, channel, etc. that is 1/16" thick with my CMS and a carbide tipped blade. Next week, I will need to make about 6 cuts to some 1/8" thick AL angle stock (2" legs).

Is this too thick to cut safely with the CMS? The stock that I have previously cut was much smaller in all areas that matter and I don't want to cause any problems.

Thank you.
    Last edited by os1kne; 07-20-2007, 12:31 PM.
    Bill
  • BrazosJake
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Benbrook, TX.
    • Emerson-built Craftsman

I think you're probably OK with that, I'd be sure to wear eye and ear protection, and no wood dust around to ignite.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

You shouldn't get any sparks off aluminum. It will cut fine. I like to use a little WD40 or something when cutting. Just a little shot on the cut line is fine. Make sure you have is secured well. I would suggest clamping it to the fence. As always, safety glasses and long sleeves if you are sensitive to hot metal landing on you.
      Lee

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

It should cut just fine.
        remember that the only safe way to cut angle material is when it is an "L" shape, the upside down "V" is dangerous.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Tom Slick
          It should cut just fine.
          remember that the only safe way to cut angle material is when it is an "L" shape, the upside down "V" is dangerous.
          You mean when the two sides of the 'V' are pointing to the ceiling?

So it's safer when placed so as the 'angle' is pointing upwards?

And what's the problem here - dangerous in what way?

Not that i am cutting metal today - just storing away for future use.
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

It can catch and flip back toward the fence. Quickly too. Could easily smash a finger. I usually cut angle with the V upward in my metal bandsaw, but once it bound up because the clamp wasn't tight enough. That cost me a blade.
            Lee

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Just to be on the safe side, you should have at least a 50+ toothed blade. I have cut solid 3/4 thick aluminum without a problem.

One thing to be careful of: Don't let the aluminum flakes go anywhere near where you use a grinder. Steel and iron powder (from a grinder) and aluminum powder/flakes make for a rough form of thermite and it very dangerous if ignited. Very high temps from those flames. The Aluminum flakes won't ignite it but the next time you do any grinding and a spark from the grinder hits the aluminum, you could have a sudden inferno.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• movnup
                Established Member
                • Aug 2006
                • Seattle
                • BT3000

I've tried two different metal blades in my 12 " CMS for right angle aluminum / t-track and I found it faster / easier, more accurate, and I feel much safer to cut it with my 4 inch right angle grinder (the thin blades they sell at HD - NOT DEWALT @ LOWES). I place the piece in my vice and do a top down cut using the outer blade shield as a finger rest to line it up and go through the top line first and down the side line. With a little practice I am getting great right angle cuts with very little burring to clean up. A side benefit is that it is a lot easier on the ears even with ear protection ..
                Last edited by movnup; 07-20-2007, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

I was looking to cut some aluminum recently, and all the blade recommendations I saw, pretty much matched the description of a blade that no one is impressed with here on the BT.

The LU82M010. As they said 60 tooth and TCG grind. The blade said it isn't recommended for non-ferrous metals (aka Aluminum). And since this blade was cheap, and I had several good blades, I gave it to a friend who was going to cut up some stuff you don't want to use your good blades on.

Now I wish I kept it to try.

EDIT: Just compared it to what they sell as an Aluminum cutting blade. The hook angle is wrong.
                  Last edited by LinuxRandal; 07-21-2007, 12:00 AM.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...