• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hermit
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Somerset, PA, USA.

Anyone ever done flocking?

Well, I have, and I flocked it up royally. I must have spread the paint too thin, cause I didn't get good coverage. You can see lightness (wood underneath, as well as brush strokes. My question is how do I fix it. I figured I would just try second coat, but not sure how the paint will work over top of the flocking. I don't see as how I have much choice though. I have 9 drawers to do. Ideas?

Todd
  • jonathan55
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
    • BT3100

It's probably not much help now but I always put a coat of something like shellac under the flock paint, otherwise it soaks in to much and you don't get goood coverage.

Comment

• hermit
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by jonathan55
      It's probably not much help now but I always put a coat of something like shellac under the flock paint, otherwise it soaks in to much and you don't get goood coverage.

Actually, I did that. As I finished number 9 yesterday, I thought, maybe I should have done a coat of paint, let it dry, do a second coat, then flock, but it was too late.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Todd

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I just tried flocking on a bandsaw box as a fix... the polyurathane coating came out miserable and I had no way to remove it from the drawer insides... so I decided to hide it with flocking. Went pretty easy though I did lay on the adhesive fairly thickly using a foam brush. Didn't know any better; it just seemed to want to go on that way.

I did get the stupid adhesive on my tabletop and then stuck my arm in that puddle... and didn't notice it for a while. Mineral spirits cleaned it up perfectly, even after it had dried. If the rest of your project's finish can tolerate it, I'd slosh a little mineral spirits in the flocked-up areas to see if that'll clean it out.

mpc

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I've flocked BS boxes, and have had some similar frustrations. It's difficult to get the paint/adhesive in only the places that you want.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I've flocked up on of projects but that's probably not what you mean.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

I tried it once on a jewelry box and it turned into the biggest flocking mess I ever made. Got some velvet sheets from Rockler with Peel and Stick Adhesive (PSA) on the back. More expensive but it looked really flocking nice.
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I used the stick on felt on jewelry boxes a couple Christmas ago. Worked well.

Jim

Comment

• MilDoc

I've use DonJer's Suede-Tex system on many BS boxes and jewelry cases. No problems at all. Tape off edges you don't wnt to apply their glue to and have at it!

http://www.donjer.com/index.html

Check several places (Rockler, WoodCraft, even Amazon) for best prices.

Comment

Working...