• Show
Clear All
  • momo44
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Augusta, GA, USA.
    • bt3100

Finish for Tool Chest (stain or paint?)

I am in the process of building a chest for my hand tools. The chest is solid poplar and based on Sir Roy's design.
    I know traditionally tools chests are often painted, but my friends are adamant that I should stain it since it is dovetailed and the lid half-lapped.
    I respect the opinions of you guys on this type of thing, so I'm asking, "What would you finish this chest with?"
    Attached Files
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I don't like staining poplar, but I would NOT paint it. It looks great. Just put a durable clear coat on it and be proud of you efforts.
    Joe

Comment

• gwyneth
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Bayfield Co., WI

JoeyGee's advice is perfect.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I've had good results with dark stain on poplar. Very nice project. Have you prepared yourself for the first gash? For that very reason - repairs to the topcoat - I'd go with a Danish oil wipe on. I have had good results with the MinWax. I have found after using some of the oil I an prevent it from hardening in the can by storing it on its side with the lid side down, wrapping the threads with Teflon tape.
        Last edited by ironhat; 07-17-2007, 06:30 AM. Reason: additional info
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

A clear coat would be okay. If you do stain it I'd suggest using a gel type stain as poplar to minimize accentuating the difference between the early and late wood.
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If you paint that, someone should wap you upside the head with a table leg!

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

If you want to add some color to it, you might try a water based stain or dye that you can control its intensity. You can buy the powders that you mix yourself. Practice on some scraps to see if you get a color you like. It won't give an "all of a sudden" finish like oil based stains. As for topcoat, it's a toss up of a film finish or oil. A finish like water based polyurethane or oil based polyurethane would keep the dirt (if any) out of the wood, but would succumb to scratching. An oil finish would be an easier upkeep (no real sanding). I wouldn't paint.

Comment

• momo44
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2004
                • Augusta, GA, USA.
                • bt3100

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input.
                I didn't make this to be as nice as it turned out - dovetailed for strength, made the frame and panel top to keep it flat and keep out moisture, and used dovetailed keyed inlays on the panels in case they wanted to separate. I planned on painting the outside at first. I had the scrap poplar on hand and since it is a traditional material, I made the chest look traditional. It just turned out looking better than I expected, thus my consideration to stain or clear finish it.
                I think I will go the stain/clear route, maybe with a light stain to even out the color.

Still have to do the inside - chisel racks, sliding tills/trays - so a lot of work left.

That brings up another question. Do you guys recommend maple runners and trays for the inside or making those out of poplar as well? I have both materials on hand (soft maple and poplar) and cost for me was the same.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

I agree with clear finish. If color is desired I second a good dye job versus stain. Regular solvent based stain blotches, I find water based stain blotches and I don't like that "painted" look or feel of gel stain.

Comment

Working...