• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Do you finish the insides of drawers?

I'm thinking of building a built-in chest of drawers in my closet. Of course, it would be to hold clothes. I'm curious if people finish- either with a varnish or paint- the insides of the drawers. It would make sense that it'd be more washable, but that's a lot more material to have used up. I'm also looking to build some kitchen cabinets, so the same question would apply there...

Thanks!
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I always finish drawers both inside and out. On some occasions upon request (and as an extra cost), stained and finished the drawers to match the exterior finish.

Comment

• gwyneth
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Bayfield Co., WI

Unless the drawers are metal or plastic--meaning that if the material they are made of has any connection to trees, no matter how remote, you need to finish both sides to prevent uneven atmospheric moisture penetration.

In any structure of wood, plywood, MDF, particleboard, or even cardboard, finishing just one side is the way to encourage warping.

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by gwyneth
        Unless the drawers are metal or plastic--meaning that if the material they are made of has any connection to trees, no matter how remote, you need to finish both sides to prevent uneven atmospheric moisture penetration.

In any structure of wood, plywood, MDF, particleboard, or even cardboard, finishing just one side is the way to encourage warping.
        I finish both sides because that is IMO the proper way to build furniture. Whether a drawer side warps or not isn't my consideration. It could warp even if finished. At least it would be a finished warped drawer side.

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I finish inside and out. If you seal one side and not the other, you really are making a worst case scenario for warping, cupping, twisting, etc...but also I like the additional protection for the insides of my drawers.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• docrowan
            • Mar 2007
            • New Albany, MS
            • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            I finish both sides because that is IMO the proper way to build furniture. Whether a drawer side warps or not isn't my consideration. It could warp even if finished. At least it would be a finished warped drawer side.
            I have to say that tickled me.

"By golly it may be warped, but it looks good!"

I understand what you're saying cabinetman, but it got me smiling.
            - Chris.

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

I too finish both inside and outside of all the drawers I build.
              John Hunter

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN

Well I think that settles it. It's odd that it seems store bought furniture is rarely finished on the inside. Unless I'm mis-remembering, it's almost always raw wood in drawers (it may be sanded, but I don't think I've ever seen it finished).

Given that, I think I may pick up the HVLP sprayer at HF that's on sale. It'll make the process easier... or at least I hope it will.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Liberty, SC, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Looks like I am the only one who doesn't, this is based on experience, and having stinky drawers!
                  If I am finishing drawers that will hold cloth I only use Shellac. Poly, etc, will leave on odor that can't dissipate in the closed environment. Same with blanket chests.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN

That's a good point- what do you finish the drawers with?

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                      Looks like I am the only one who doesn't, this is based on experience, and having stinky drawers!
                      If I am finishing drawers that will hold cloth I only use Shellac. Poly, etc, will leave on odor that can't dissipate in the closed environment. Same with blanket chests.

I hate stinky drawers too. I'll group shellac with oil based polyurethane, and varnishes in taking a long time for the odor to dissipate. I can remember setting drawers outside for many days. I'll use either lacquer or water based polyurethane on drawers. Their "air out" time is much less.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Liberty, SC, USA.
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                        That's a good point- what do you finish the drawers with?
                        Shellac is typically used because the alcohol flashes out quickly and there is no odor remaining.

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

I finish the inside of drawers and generally use what I am using on the outside. Most typically that is water based and most recently Resisthane. I like to use a Wagner HVLP spray gun and the Resisthane sprays great. Dries in an hour. Sometimes I use wipe on poly.

In terms of odor, my projects are always spread out over multiple weeks of weekends and evenings so I do not have much of a problem with the odor disappating by the time it is complete. With the water based there is not much odor to start with - especially with Resisthane.

I typically only put two coats on the inside of drawers. I also do the outside of the drawer sides and the back and bottom too. May be unnecessary but once the spray gun is ready to go it takes almost no additional time. My drawers do not stick as long as I made them right and give the finish enough time to dry. Minwax water based could be an issue, however, since it takes a month to fully harden. I think I did not use it on the insides last time I used it on the outside but I must admit I do not remember for sure. The drawers do not stick (except for one where the issue is with an irregularity in the slide).

Jim

Comment

• hermit
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Somerset, PA, USA.

I use a quick "spit coat" of shellac on drawers, inside and out to seal them. I only put the "real finish" on the fronts.

Todd

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

As noted above if you finish the outside of the drawer you want to finish the inside of the drawer. Also as noted above it is perfectly acceptible to leave the drawer totall unfinished and this is likely what folks are talking about when they say commercial furniture is unfinished on the inside.

Basically if you finish one side of a piece of wood the other side should be finished to even the slight changes in wood moisture contents. Failure to do so will result in uneven moisture distribution thus warping/cupping the wood.

If you want to finish the drawers I would suggest shellac as it will not be exposed to heavy wear in your application and will not transfer oder to clothing as an oil based poly. Water based poly would be ok, but you would want to give it plenty of time to cure.

Comment

Working...