Bed -- Finally Some Progress !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ssmith1627
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 704
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #1

    Bed -- Finally Some Progress !

    I'm lucky if I can get a project done every three months. I blame it on lack of time but it's probably more a lack of skill and trying to figure out each step along the way.

    I hope to have the bed for my foster son done in the next week or so. Getting pretty close now:

    http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v...tredirect=true

    I thought I was on the downhill run until I started laying out and drilling the holes for the connector bolts and cross dowels. Holy cow. Those holes have to align perfectly or you don't have a chance of getting the bolt to thread into the cross dowel. Got one "corner" done last night, three more to go.

    Steve
  • ssmith1627
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 704
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #2
    So close to having this thing done and made a mistake last night. Blew through the side of the rail while drilling a hole for a cross-dowel. Arrrrr.

    I should've used a jig to guide my drilling but with the depth of the holes I had to drill, I didn't think the bit would make it. What I should have done and will do with the rest of the holes is just use the jig to drill the first inch or inch and a half. Then I can remove the jig and drill the rest without going off line.

    Now I have to create a little rectangular mortise so I can piece in a patch for the blown out area, trying to match the grain. At least now we know which side of the bed needs to be up against the wall !

    Steve

    Comment

    • gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • 1407
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

      #3
      Steve,
      That is one fine looking bed. I am sure your step son will love it. I'm looking forward to seeing the final piece.

      Did you build this from plans or just from your own design?
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

      My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

      Comment

      • prlundberg
        Established Member
        • May 2006
        • 183
        • Minnesota
        • Craftsman 21829

        #4
        Originally posted by gad5264
        Steve,
        That is one fine looking bed. I am sure your step son will love it. I'm looking forward to seeing the final piece.

        Did you build this from plans or just from your own design?
        Ditto, nice work.

        Phil
        Phil

        Comment

        • jon_ramp
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • 121
          • western Chicago burb
          • Craftsman 21829

          #5
          Looks great!

          Originally posted by ssmith1627
          I'm lucky if I can get a project done every three months. I blame it on lack of time but it's probably more a lack of skill and trying to figure out each step along the way.
          Boy, do I know that feeling.

          What Grant said about the plans/design. I'm interested as this is the type of project I would like to try sometime.

          Comment

          • ssmith1627
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2005
            • 704
            • Corryton, TN, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

            #6
            These plans were in Wood magazine a few months back. It's the 3-in-1 type thing if you want to build it that way -- crib, toddler bed, adolescent bed. The next month's issue had a dresser / changing table as well. I couldn't build anything out of my own head unless it was just for the shop !

            Thanks for the comments guys. Here's the little bugger that will hopefully get to use it. We're just foster parents and no relation to the family but we're afraid we might lose him after the next court date -- grandmother trying to get custody.

            Steve
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ssmith1627; 06-29-2007, 02:01 PM.

            Comment

            Working...