X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwc
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

Entertainment credenza - hardware

My next project is an entertainment credenza to be made out of cherry. I'm seeking some recommendations for hardware to allow me to flush-mount glass-paneled doors and hide the hinges. The door and carcase thicknesses will be 3/4". I'm a relative newbie so I don't want to install something too challenging... would like to be able to obtain a nice, even reveal around the door and I've never built frame & panel doors before.

Are barrel hinges the best way to go for this application? Or is there a better alternative? Drilling a couple of holes seems to be a pretty straightforward way to go, hence the draw toward barrel hinges.

Here's a sketch I just finished:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Entertainment_credenza_rough_sketch_web.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	790831

Thank you,
    kwc
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by kwc
    Are barrel hinges the best way to go for this application? Or is there a better alternative? Drilling a couple of holes seems to be a pretty straightforward way to go, hence the draw toward barrel hinges.

Thank you,
    kwc
    Nice sketch. (You have an extra door knob in the picture, though) I've
    never used barrel hinges but know people who have. Your drilling has to be
    spot on to get an even reveal which is hard enough with regular hinges. I'd
    make your door rails and stiles a little bigger than finished size so your door
    fits close to snug in the opening. Drill the barrel holes and mount the hinges.
    Then carefully fit your door to size with a handplane or tablesaw/sled to get
    the even reveal.

Good luck and I look forward to pictures.

Paul

Comment

• kwc
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2007

Paul,

I caught the misplaced knob right after posting. I must admit having knobs on both sides would make hinge placement interesting. :-)

I'll keep the fit tight until the hardware is in place; thanks for the tip.

Your response implies that barrel hinges could require more precision to install than other types of hidden hinges. Is there a low-profile hinge you can recommend as an alternative?

Thanks again,
      kwc

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by kwc
        Paul,

Your response implies that barrel hinges could require more precision to install than other types of hidden hinges. Is there a low-profile hinge you can recommend as an alternative?

Thanks again,
        kwc
        Inset doors definitely take the level of difficulty up a notch but not that hard
        if you take your time.

I can think of 2 other types of hidden hinges--Soss and scissor/knife hinges.
        Soss hinges will be a lot harder than barrel hinges and you'd probably need to
        cut the mortises for them before you assemble your case. Scissor hinges do
        show a knuckle at the top and bottom of the door but it's pretty understated.
        However, they are also not that easy to do right and are more suited to less
        contemporary styled pieces--not yours.

I think I would go with barrel hinges for your piece.

Paul

Comment

• mschrank
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Hood River, OR, USA.
          • BT3000

Are you looking for a hinge that is hidden both inside and out? If you don't mind it being visible when the door is open, why not use european style concealed hinges? The best part of them is their ease of adjustment, so you would have a bit of a "fudge factor."
          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• kwc
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2007

Mike,

I don't mind if the hinge is visible when the door is open, as long as the profile is fairly narrow. I don't want it to interfere with moving the shelves or accessing electronics equipment (amp, DVD player, etc.)

I'll look into the European style hinges. Any specific brand that you've used or can recommend?

Thank you,
            kwc

Comment

Working...