• Show
Clear All
  • eddy merckx
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Western WA
    • Shop Fox Cabinet

finish on maranti

I'm finally getting close to finishing an asian-style sideboard. I started this project in January and the learning curve has been steep.

Anyway, my wife picked out the wood (maranti) because she liked the tone and because it kind of matches the Brazilian (bazillion if you ask me) Cherry floor. Always good to please the customer. I decided to finish it in shellac with wax over. Picked up some amber shellac at HD and tried it on some scrap (I have lots because of some design opportunities). Maranti has very open pores which the shellac darkened. The result looks cheap and cheezy to my eye, like something from a budget import store. What I'm really after is the wood grain and color the be the focus, rather than the pores.

I have heard of sealing wood with clear shellac and staining over top. I'm not keen on stain though. I also have heard of using wood filler to seal the pores.

Any advice for a novice finisher?

Thanks, Eddy
  • smc331
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • BT3100

Do a Google search on "French Polish" - especially read up on "Rotten Stone" - I'll be doing that on my next dulcimer. Makes a wonderful finish....
    Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• eddy merckx
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Western WA
      • Shop Fox Cabinet

Oh man Scott, that sounds like a lot of work! I can't imagine my shop being free of dust for a week. Might be willing to do it if it looks really good though. Have you ever tried it on a large piece of furniture?

Eddy

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Water based clears does not darken as much as oil based. Since you are experimenting, you might want to try that as a sealer, then sand or scrape it down smooth and see what your shellac looks like over that.

Are you looking for a glossy/simi-glossy finish or satin? Either way, a good finish does not usually come without lots of elbo grease. It is the work of the hands and tools that really enhance the finish or paints.
        Last edited by leehljp; 06-10-2007, 06:03 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• eddy merckx
          Established Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Western WA
          • Shop Fox Cabinet

Thanks Hank, I will experiment with that. I was thinking of a semi gloss finish.

Eddy

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I try not to use shellac as a sealer. Sometimes it does too good of a job. I've had it dry so fast that some areas became worse than others.

I've used wood "conditioners", such as this stuff, to create a more predictable finish. You can get conditioners that are compatible with the stain and top coat you want to use.

Comment

Working...