Knock-Down Shop Workstation

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • docrowan
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 893
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

    #1

    Knock-Down Shop Workstation

    Has anyone built the Knock-Down Shop Workstation in Shopnotes #87? Like a lot of you guys I have a small shop, and I chop up 4X8 panels with a circular saw. I've been struggling with stands consisting of 2X4's on sawhorses for too long now. I've looked at several options, but I really liked the look of the knockdown station. It will be a couple more months before I'm ready to build one, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone's tried it out already.

    Thanks in advance.
    - Chris.
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 3061
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

    #2
    I had forgotten about this. At first look I'd dismissed it as too small (in surface), but now I see that it allows for two differen sizes.

    At 63" long (using the long rails), it should make for a very good surface. I might want to do it too.
    Attached Files
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

    Comment

    • docrowan
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2007
      • 893
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

      #3
      I plan on sacrificing another half sheet or so of 3/4 plywood and making the rails a full 8 foot. I'll rip a 2X6 in half to get the two rails and make 4 cross pieces out of two 2X4's with plywood cleats, and perhaps a dowel to register them to the rails. The 2X4's would be sacrificial, I'll nick them as necessary so I can slice up sheet goods. I was concerned about the relatively low height, even at the high position, but I realized it's better to slice across sheet goods at lower height, rather than the 36" or so I'm used to.

      I'll post pictures once I get it done and write a review, but it probably won't be until sometime in July.
      - Chris.

      Comment

      • leehljp
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • 8803
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

        #4
        Nice simple idea. I like it.!
        Hank Lee

        Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

        Comment

        Working...