• Show
Clear All
  • nadz
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Rocket City, AL, USA.

gun rest/benchrest/shooting rest

hey folks-

anyone here ever made a rest for a rifle? something that is suited to hold a rifle during cleaning and/or sighting in?

i saw a wooden one at a local sporting goods store and thought "hey- i could make that!"

this isnt exactly what it looked like, but i will give you an idea of the application

thanks,

-adam
    Attached Files
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=7349&page=4

Last post in that thread (the thread got kinda messed up).
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I made something similar to the thread Stan posted. Works fine.

I also made a shooting rest mainly of wood. I cut a block of maple into a hexagon, mortised three legs in and drilled the center for a piece of 3/4 inch all thread. I put a 1/4 bolt into each of the six faces of a 3/4 nut for a height adjustment mechanism. A 1/2 inch pipe flange goes on the 3/4 all thread to attach the actual rest for the gun.

Jim

Comment

• nadz
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2005
        • Rocket City, AL, USA.

Great Ideas!

hey guys thanks,

i really appreciate the ideas and pics!

time to get started!

-a
        -----------------------------------------------------------------
        Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

I use store-bought rifle rests for shooting mainly because I like to do serious benchrest shooting where the goal is all five shots touching at 100 yards. I need the precision and reproducability of well machined material, usually aluminum or steel.

What I really would like to find is a set of plans for some kind of a cart or stacked boxes to carry all the shooting tools from the back of the pickup to the benchrest in a nice and neat package. I would like something that could be stacked on one of those hand dollies. I need something with fairly large wheels because the shooting range is gravel.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

Steve,

I made a cart based upon a design for a rolling tool box that was in Wood magazine. It has lawn mower wheels. In the top, I have a couple spotting scopes, compact models, and targets, stapler, and some ammo space. Behind doors I have a drawer that holds my chronograph, a tripod, and provides more ammo space. In the bottom I have space for sandbags and my front rest (mainly wood). In between I have space for my cleaning rest and cleaning supplies. I've switched to using Wipe-out which requires a long soak so I'm thinking of putting another drawer in this space.

With respect to front rests, I found an article from a champion F-class shooter who uses a $40 rest from midway. I think it's metal but I think it goes to show that you can do a lot without the high end equipment. If you already have a "better" rest then by all means use it.

I don't have a design for my rolling box but I do not think it would work well for you anyway. I measured the size of my equipment and then designed by box accordingly. I have to roll across a gravel lot and find the lawnmower wheels OK but a bit marginal. The box is also heavy, when full. Your idea of boxes to go on a cart seems like a good way to go.

Jim

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • The Great Land - Alaska
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by JimD
              Steve,

I don't have a design for my rolling box but I do not think it would work well for you anyway. I measured the size of my equipment and then designed by box accordingly. I have to roll across a gravel lot and find the lawnmower wheels OK but a bit marginal. The box is also heavy, when full. Your idea of boxes to go on a cart seems like a good way to go.

Jim
              Jim:

Thanks for the feedback. What you describe is pretty much what I was thinking of. I am still in the thinking stage and haven't started building anything yet. I am a big fan of compartmentalization so the boxes I have to lift don't get too heavy.

Regards and thanks, Steve

Comment

Working...