• BT3000

What species of wood to use?

Next in the project queue is a cabinet to display this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Coming Through the Rye.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	790428
    It's heavy and pretty big at aobut 31"Wx31"D overall.

I haven't completed the design, but it will probably be shaped like this Molesworth built by Norm this year.

I'm going to pass on the embossed designs and the horn hardware. The Molesworth design might be perfect for the Remington, as is, in the right environment, but won't work for our house.

So the big question is, what kind of wood should I use? I had been thinking about walnut, but lately I've been thinking the wood should provide more contrast to the dark bronze.

What are your thoughts?

JR
    Last edited by JR; 04-09-2007, 05:16 PM.
    JR
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

My first thought on reading the first line and seeing the attached picture of Norm was you want to build something to show a picture of Norm?
    The first picture loaded last.
    sparkeyjames
    Last edited by sparkeyjames; 04-09-2007, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

JR--First you must consult with the keeper of the decor. LOML in my house. I'm sure you must remember enough red and black dyed wood in my house to last you a lifetime. I like dark Walnut and Mahogany. But, you won't see much of it at my house.

You might want to consider Red Oak [cheaper here] with a white-wash dye or a pickling stain in a light color. The coarse grain will show through, so you can still tell it is wood. And, the dark bronze will jump out.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• bmyers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2003
        • Fishkill, NY
        • bt 3100

Mesquite has a nice cowboy flavor to it. It's stability is up there with white oak for furniture. It's not the cheapest stuff but it'll last a good long time.

That was one of the more interesting pieces I've seen Nahm do in a while. Good luck with it and don't forget to post it when it's done.

Bill
        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Mesquite and pickled oak, two good ideas, although I haven't found mesquite around here.

I also have hickory in the back of my mind. Like mesquite, it could provide a sort of rustic look, even though the cabinet would be nicely finished. Well as nicely as I can do, but you get my drift.

JR
          JR

Comment

• gary
            • May 2004
            • Versailles, KY, USA.

Honduran Mohagany is very nice.

http://www.woodzone.com/woods/mahogany.htm
            Gary

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Mesquite was the first wood that came to mind for me, too. Another possibility would be Pecan.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• ChrisD
                • Dec 2004
                • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

JR, that's a nice piece of art. I just came home from dinner at a Japanese place and the image of dark ceramic udon bowls on a white oak table top is still fresh in my mind. If contrast is the goal, my choice would be quartersawn oak.
                The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I bought a bunch of ash at a good price and have made a few small projects with it. Works well, looks nice in it's natural state, has nice grain. It might be a little too light and you might not be able to get it down there, but it will certainly stand out well against the bronze. I used it to make frames for some slide-out kitchen shelves and finished in acrylic, it has a pale golden color that looks nice against our dark stained cabinets. Better yet, the Boss approved!

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

I stared pretty hard at some ash the other day, but it didin't work for me. It has excellent contrast, but not enough grain.

White oak might be nice. I looked at some of that, too. It has the dual beneits of being very light, but with rich grain.

Mesquite is still high on the list, but none is available locally.

One store had some "hickory pecan", Pappy, so I'm not sure what that means. They have it only 4/4, whereas I think I may want some 8/4 for the posts. Guess I better get my design finished before buyin any wood!

Lots of great feeback. Thanks, guys.

JR
                    JR

Comment

• Stan
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Australian Cypress might be an option.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Australian Cypress.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	780966
                      From the NW corner of Montana.
                      http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by Stan
                        Australian Cypress might be an option.
                        Oooh, nice.
                        JR

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

The reason that called it "hickory-pecan" JR is that the pecan tree is a relative of the hickory family. My older cousin downed quite a number of pecans from a small pecan orchard on some property he purchased to develope. He ask me to surface it and for every board foot I got a board foot free. I ended up with about 800 board feet which I sold most of to do some upgrades of machinery along with selling my existing machines.

It ranges in color from light brown streaks to a pinkish hue a tad lighter than raw salmon with lighter early-wood surrounding it. Quite niice to work IMO. If I were in your shoes I would go for contrast also as you mentioned with those almost ebony peices. Pecan wouldn't be a bad choice, but for those dark statues, I would probably have a look a curly or bird-eye maple before I ruled out any choices.

Regards...

Comment

Working...