• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

A couple of chair questions

I bought some unfinished chairs for the cabin and have them sanded and stained. I 'need' to get them topcoated this weekend but the problem is that it is supposed to rain every day. Q:

1. If I kick the heat on to 65*F (currently 61 outside) will that be a sufficient change in relative humidity to allow the fast-drying poly to dry?

The bottom of the legs are not cut absolutely parallel (flat) to the floor. I want to put metal glides on them but the uneven legs will only allow contact of the glides along its edge. I'm concerned that this will gouge the vinyl. Q:

2. Am I nuts (no cheap shots, please)? Will they damage the vinyl if I don't true-up the leg bottoms?

OK, that's it. I'm really not loking forward to trying to flatten the legs and keeping them all equal, even with a scribed line. Trying to manage a chair thru a bandsaw or sander doesn't sound doeable. BTW, I suggested to the wife that we use the self leveling type but the wife doesn't like the prominent brass cap.

TIA,
    Chiz
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Chiz,

I made a little shooting stool last weekend and it wouldn't sit flat. I fixed it very quickly with my hand held belt sander. I just sanded a little off the legs that were longer until it stopped rocking. Just an idea.

I think the poly will dry regardless of the humidity, it will just dry more slowly. I would look at the can to see what temperature you need to be at. It seems like they normally say you can go down to 50 F or something on that order.

Jim

Comment

Working...