• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Glue for Cutting Board

What glue for a cutting board? I am thinking waterproof, so not titebond, elmers or the other yellow glues. Maybe titebond II? Gorilla glue would work but will there be any problems with foaming?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Originally posted by crokett
    What glue for a cutting board? I am thinking waterproof, so not titebond, elmers or the other yellow glues. Maybe titebond II? Gorilla glue would work but will there be any problems with foaming?
    IIRC, Titebond III is rated as waterproof, while II is water-resistant. Otherwise probably GG is your best bet, just watch out for the foam.

Pretending I know what I'm talking about....

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

From my experience waterproof glue on a cutting board is overkill. The reason being is that the oil used to finish the board protects the glue. I have one made with elmers that LOML has been hacking on for about 3 years now.

I have seen one person go to the extreme to prevent the possibility of one coming apart. He drills holes at both ends through all the pieces and after gluing uses threaded rod and bolts as clamps, then puts one final piece on each side to cover the bolts.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Depending on the number of pieces (laminations) involved, you might need to be more concerned about working time than water-resistance or strength. I've never made a cutting board or chess board, but if I did, I'd use a plastic resin glue (Weldwood powder, or similar) to give me plenty of time to get the several pieces buttered and clamped up.
        Larry

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

I used Titebond III and finished with mineral oil. I also reapply the mineral oil every so often to keep it protected. I don't expect a lot of water is getting past the oil, but if it is then the glue is rated to hold...
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

titebond II or III will work fine. after soaking it with mineral oil rub wax it with beeswax to add more waterproofing.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

glue for cutting board

Crokett, I was in basically the same position as you are in a few weeks ago
              about the cutting board. I had to repair one that had a crack in it it was an
              old one (about 20 years old) I separated it at the crack, resurfaced the boards on the jointer, used yellow wood glue, clamped it up, let it dry,
              sanded it down, and refinished the whole thing with butcher block oil
              (it is a mineral oil), 3 good coats let in soak in well over night and put in back into use in the kitchen. So far no problems, wife uses it all the time and she hasn't complained about it yet! eezlock

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

I've used Titebond II and III and all the boards are still together.
                It's managing the dang pieces while they are slipping and sliding away that is the problem, then suddenly they stop slipping caused the glue setup, but the pieces aren't where you intended!

Click image for larger version

Name:	qleft1.gif
Views:	1
Size:	379 Bytes
ID:	780621

Comment

Working...