• Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

How to make BLACK epoxy?

I also posted this on WoodNet ...

I need to fill 1/8" - 1/4" voids in a couple of pine knots, so I figured I'll load in some black 5-min epoxy. If that doesn't work, I'll route out a section and fill with a Dutchman.

Only problem is - I don't know how to make the epoxy black ...

> What should I put into epoxy to make it black? Please specify brand and item.

> Where do I buy the stuff to make it black?

> How to mix it?

> Do I have enough time to mix it into 5-min epoxy, or do I need to use epoxy with longer setting time?

> Is epoxy a good choice? Will it hold up to wood movement, time, UV, etc?

> Can you give me any tips that you learned filling voids with black epoxy?

>> Any better solutions to filling the voids? I open for anything.

FYI -
    The knots are in pine joists that were removed from my 1908 house. They are tight. The wood looks to be #2 virgin growth SYP. Some is heart wood. It's tight grained, hard, and heavy. I'm using it for the top to a farm table for the kitchen. Planed to 1-3/16" thick.

Thanks for your help,

- Lonnie
    Attached Files
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • Anna
    • Feb 2006
    • CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Hi,

Woodsmith No. 168 has a short article on using epoxy inlay, which involves adding color to epoxy. It's only two pages. If you want, PM me your email and I'll scan and email the article to you.

In a nutshell, it says you can use pretty much any kind of coloring in epoxy (including aniline dyes). Important thing is to avoid colors that are soluble in the type of finish you'll be using. For the sources, they cited Lee Valley and also Stewart-Macdonald (stewmac.com).

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Man that is some knock-down beautiful Pine, Lonnie. I have to admit being jealous. ;-D
      I've used India Ink with good results. If you want to purchase a product that states it is made for epoxy, these folks have epoxy colorant.
      http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/b...nt_1523180.htm

You may to experiment with India Ink to see if it does what you want. I mixed it in 5 minute 2 part epoxy from Woodcraft. I've been meaning to try soot from the wood heater.

Comment

• final_t
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003

The one time I need some, I just made it with a little bit of Testor's black kit paint mixed into the batch. Worked fine.

Comment

• WayneJ
          • Jan 2004
          • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I remember my dad using a product called " lamp black " to color concrete years ago. I think all it is, is carbon. Its a powder and should mix in well if you can still get it.
          Wayne
          Wayne J

Comment

• smorris
            • Apr 2003
            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I used graphite, just ground up the lead from a mechanical pencil to a fine powder and mixed it in.
            --
            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Regular 5 minute epoxy has an opaque amber color but when I have applied it to walnut while fixing my checkering mistakes (few that they are) the finished product all looks like wood. Have you tried to fill a knot void on a piece of scap without color added? Norm used a black epoxy in his mesquite bookcase project. You may be able to search his site for info on that. I've noticed he is pretty free with his information on such matters.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

I went to Hobby Lobby and got a tube of black artists paint. NOT the acrylic stuff. I used it mixed with epoxy to make the inlays on several things including the spider on this pen.
                Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I make black epoxy all the time to glue inlays into ebony. I use a drop of black leather dye. It doesn't take much to color a batch of epoxy, and also slows the cure time slightly.
                  Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

Lonnie,

As Wayne suggested, I use powdered concrete coloring. I believe it is lamp black, or Carbon. You can make a small quantity by moving a piece of metal over an oil lamp flame.

The center of this knot in Zebrawood was very loose. I used epoxy with the powder and then resawed for the bookmatch.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                      • May 2003
                      • Orlando, FL, USA.
                      • BT3000

Wood dust into epoxy?

Thanks for your replies and insight into repairing voids in pine knots. I'm trying a number options.

>?? I tried mixing some sanding dust from the project into 5-min epoxy to get a patch that may not stand out as much as black. I loaded it into the knot, but it doesn't harden. Am I doing something wrong? I tried it twice. The dust is from heart pine, so it has a lot of turpintine smell and probably resin.

>?? Also trying to get a feel if an epoxy patch will cloud or dull over time.

---

Ken:
                      Thanks for the compliment about the old pine wood. It started out pretty rough. The kitchen from which the joists were removed burned 50 or 60 years ago. I had to plane through the char to get to the old heart wood. I missed a few nails, my planer knives are shot; my jointer knives probably have a nick or two; luckily I replaced my WWII with a cheap Harbor Freight blade on my BT3000, cause it found a few nails, too.

I bought some clear old growth vertical grain heart pine for the aprons today - no nails!

- Lonnie
                      Attached Files
                      OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

Brownells sells powder to mix with epoxy to make it brown or black - it is used for glass bedding rifles but should work fine for your application. I have used both brown and black successfully.

Jim

Comment

Working...