• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jbridge337
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • GA.

router table dust collection

Hi, I am planning a router cabinet with an enclolsed area for router with dust collection. I was wondering if there were any opinions on using dust collection port of router (triton 2 1/4 hp) or attaching one of the jointer hoods from the HF kit to the enclosed box. I will also use fence mounted dust collection. Thank you.

Jim
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

A whole lot depends on whether or not you'll be using the same router or not. I just built a box with a dust collection fitting in the bottom since I use a Triton and other routers. That way if I'm doing a project using multiple bits, I just swap out routers and base plates. The Triton dust collection is nice but it's the only router I have with that capability.

Comment

• Jbridge337
      Established Member
      • Nov 2004
      • GA.

I ordered the Triton specifically for the table. I have a PC 690 I'll use for handheld. I assume there is a tradeoff with the smaller Triton port but getting most at the source, vs. a bigger port (4") but letting any dust fall into the box.

thanks,
      Jim

Comment

• eddy merckx
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Western WA
        • Shop Fox Cabinet

Hi Jim

I built an enclosed box for my router table with a 4" dust port. When I ever re-do it, I will change to a vaccuum port on the router. The suction from my dust collector (Jet 1100) isn't near enough to pull down the stream of sawdust when routing a dado. I think it's a better job for the shop vac.

Eddy

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

My Bosch 1617 stays in the router table extension on the TS3650. I built an under-the-table enclosure from sheet metal, and installed a 2.5" vacuum connector. The 2.5" hose runs about 5 ft. to a 2.5 to 4" adaptor and T. The collection is excellent with the HF dust collector. I have 3 2.5" blast gates, one to the TS360, 1 to the under table sheet metal box and 1 to the fence.
          Using the fence with another 2.5" port practically all the dust is captured.

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Both my tables have a "side port" connection - useful for dado type routing. Hose/nozzle are Festo.

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 11:28 PM.
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Jbridge337
              Established Member
              • Nov 2004
              • GA.

Originally posted by RodKirby
              Both my tables have a "side port" connection - useful for dado type routing. Hose/nozzle are Festo.

[ATTACH]4441[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH]4442[/ATTACH]
              Do you get much dust in the box that the router dust shroud misses?

Thanks,
              Jim

Oh, wait, you have that magic wood that doesn't make dust.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Since my DC setup is based on 4" PVC, I put a 4" port on the back of my router compartment. In the photo, it's at the bottom, and to the left of the router. On the right side is a triangular ramp to keep that corner from filling with chips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Router Comp Inside.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	780478

On the bifold door to the router compartment (shown partially open) is an adjustable intake port to make sure there's enough air flowing through the system. I have a 2.5" DC port on my router fence, but I only use it as an air supply to guide air down past the bit, and into the router compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Router Door Half Open.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	780479

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• RodKirby
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                  • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by Jbridge337
                  Do you get much dust in the box that the router dust shroud misses?
                  My guesses:
                  1. Regular routing (edge) - the fence DC gets about 95%
                  2. Enclosed routing (dado type) the side port (shroud) gets about 90%.

Good enough for me - easy to clean out what the DC misses
                  Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Jbridge337
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2004
                    • GA.

Thanks for all the responses...I guess part of the challenge will be trying to find small hose and fittings. I may try both routes using a temp. side panel with 4" collector and 1 1/2" hose and see which works better.

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

• whitecobra
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
                      • BT3K with most accessories

Eddy
                      Your 4" is FINE if you step it down to 2" at the housing

You are right there is likely not enough pressure at 4" to do a good job BUT there is PLENTY of volume so simply reduce the 4" to a 2" about 12 to 18" before the cabinet.

Save all the work in a rebuild

Try it you will like it
                      Dr D
                      Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
                      www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• Jbridge337
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2004
                        • GA.

I am assuming the "try it" means you have a similar set up...if you do, could you post a picture or two? thanks,

jim

Originally posted by whitecobra
                        Eddy
                        Your 4" is FINE if you step it down to 2" at the housing

You are right there is likely not enough pressure at 4" to do a good job BUT there is PLENTY of volume so simply reduce the 4" to a 2" about 12 to 18" before the cabinet.

Save all the work in a rebuild

Try it you will like it
                        Dr D

Comment

Working...