X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Is there a standard in cabinet pulls?

Years ago when I bought cabinet hardware, amoung other things, there seemed to be a short supply of 3.5" center pulls. Amerock had only a few ugly ones. Now I see a lot more in that size and 3" and 4" as well.
    Maybe all 3 sizes are 'standard' sizes now!
    I found a really nice Belwith satin brass beaded pull that we like in a 4" center. But I'm wondering if I should try to find something in a 3" center.
    4" would be better for my big hands but may seem too big for others.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I put 4" "bow" pulls on my kitchen cabinets and they look proportional to the cabinets.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Most of what we see in the commercial market are either 3.5" or 4" and have been for many years. However 5" is gaining ground, as even a 4" OC pull can be a little shy on room for large hands if the wire diameter or mounting bosses are very large.
      Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Some of the decision to the width may be to consider the design and proportion to the application. Some handles are not available in the different widths. There are a lot that have gone entirely to millimeters. I've gotten my fingers stuck in more 3" than the 4".

Comment

• Salty
          • Feb 2006
          • Akron, Ohio

Thanks all.
          I think I'll go with the 4" as the sample looks great on the cabinets and would be easier for me to get my big fingers into. Ultimately it is the better half's decision.
          This is the first finished cabinet in my kitchen rework. The faceframe is covered with 1/4" pieces of hickory and the doors are all new reised panel in solid hickory. Interior is painted a tan color that looks good as well.
          Last edited by Salty; 11-23-2008, 01:21 PM.
          Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

Working...