• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Garage Workbench?

Been playinng around with sketchup and a workbench design. Being a garage shop with limited space I am trying to utilize the benchtop for maximum function and thought about building it to hold various benchtop tools where the work surfaces of the top of the bench and the tool would be level. This is what I have so far:

Middle panel is removable and benchtop tools rest on the adjustable shelf which raises and lowers using the through dado's in the side. Each tool will have a set of spacers that will register the top of the tool worksurface even with the benchtop.

One problem I see is that the stretcher supporting the top is not going to provide support like I have it now. I would like as much useable room on the bottom as possible for a large shelf to hold the tools. How should I support the top?
    This will be my first bench so suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Best and simplest solution I can see, without totally hosing your basic design, would be to extend the side panels of the benchtop tools "bin" down to the bottom pair of longitudinal stretchers.

I realize that will divide this bottom area into three segments, but they'd all still be usable. What's the largest single item you'll store down there?
    Larry

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Without pausing to read your post thru (and sorry for hijacking your thread), I havta say that your SketchUP is great!
      How much time did it take you to come up with that complete diagram you posted?
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

If the sides of your tools bin were extended down to the lower stretchers/shelf you wouldn't lose that much storage space unless you have a tool that is too wide to fit on either side or between the sides of your tools bin.

A possible way around this is an extra set of stretchers that the tools bin rides on, but then you have a height restriction on the tools you store on the bottom shelf.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I agree that you need to bring a support down the sides of that middle unit at least to the stretchers, if not the floor. It wouldn't have to be the whole panel, though, it could be four posts from the top apron down to the stretchers.

But, that middle unit is already essentially separating the two sides, so this doesn't gain you that much.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• scoly
            Established Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Kinda figured it would take support on either side to make it work. Thanks all.
            radhak
            I am just stumbling through su. Been playing with it for about a month but only have a little time in it. The bench design was a learning experience and probably took ~2 hrs total.
            Thanks again,
            Steve
            It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

workbench.......

Nice drawing on the bench...had an idea similar to that one time. I wanted to
              try and get some of the old typewriter lifts out of old office desks and incorporate them into a workbench,and make them to hold benchtop machines that would lift up to use and disappear below the top when not needed....could not seem to locate them at a reasonable price though....

Comment

Working...