• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

HVLP Help

Will be spraying some molding soon using the hf 43430 hvlp gun. From what I've read I will need to add Penetrol and thin with ms. In order to get the right consistency I will need a viscosity cup but I have been unable to find one. Any suggestions where to look?
    While we're at it any guidelines for spraying oil based enamel with this gun? I have plenty of scrap to do trial and error but would appreciate starting points for viscosity, gun pressure settings, etc.
    Thanks
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • paintandbodtman
    Banned
    • Jul 2006

Check with an automotive paint supplier, a #2 zahn cup was the size that they recommended to be used back when acrylic enamels were real popular, should be able to order one from a good paint supplier. As for viscosities most paint companies have spec sheets that should give their recommendations for their products if not about 20-22 seconds would be a good starting point for most enamels as you could always add more reducer if not thin enough. The proper temp range reducer is as important as viscosity with most enamels. As far as pressure most hvlp guns operate at 10 lbs max useing a hvlp gauge at the gun.Every thing from the compressor to the gun should be a minimum of 3/8 inch ID for proper volume of air to produce optimum atomization. With enamels you need a air cap and needle setup suitable for heavy bodied fluids, about 1.4-1.7 or bigger.I'm sure others will offer their opinions but mine is based on 25 yrs auto refinishing and about 2-3 yrs working in a high end furniture finishing room {baker furniture} very high end manufacturer.
    Hope this helps.

Wayne

Comment

• scoly
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Thanks Wayne. Just what I needed. Starting points will save a lot of trial and error.
      Steve
      It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

Working...