• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Cutting spline slots w/o flat-bottom blade

I am working on a small project that uses a mitered frame for the top. I would like to reinforce the corners w/ splines. The blades I have are all thin kerf and they don't cut flat-bottom slots. Do you guys file these slots flat or just fill 'em w/ sanding dust before finishing?
  • whitecobra
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
    • BT3K with most accessories

I just finished 30 kitchen cabinets with loose tenons (a variation on what you are doing)
    We used a dado to cut the groove so it was flat but you can easily use a router to cut them
    If you use the router you can set up a small jig to allow the router to have a wider base to run on and they look great

Sorry not into filling in mistakes with putty or the like.

Dr D
    Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
    www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by cgallery
      I am working on a small project that uses a mitered frame for the top. I would like to reinforce the corners w/ splines. The blades I have are all thin kerf and they don't cut flat-bottom slots. Do you guys file these slots flat or just fill 'em w/ sanding dust before finishing?
      Is it a single-kerf spline? I recently splined a single-kerf miter, and found that just hitting it with a folded piece of sandpaper was all that was necessary to knock off that hump. The project was a 3"x5" frame, so I was doing fairly fine work.

If it's a kerf-and-a-half, I wonder if any bumps would even show, since the high spot left behind by one cut would be hit by the blade edge on the next cut....

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

Use a Small File

I just use a small jeweler's file on edge to make it flat. Works good, does not bake a long time to do. Be careful and check progress often so that you don't file a groove in it.
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

• boblon
          • Aug 2003
          • Florida, USA.

If the wood is fairly soft I have had good luck with just placing a piece of spline sized material in the slot and giving it a good rap with a small hammer. This seems to flatten the corners and once the splines are glued in and sanded flush it looks pretty good.

Granted, this may not the the 'proper', 'craftsman' like thing to do, but it sure is quick.

BobL.
          "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• bigfoot
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2006

I use a 3 wing cutter on the router table, keeps the workpiece flat rather than working on edge.
            The voices made me do it.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I'm confused. If you are asking about cutting spline slots with a tablesaw blade, what kind of blade does not cut flat-bottomed slots? AFIK all mine do. I've cut spline slots on several picture frames and never had a problem with this.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN

Originally posted by crokett
                I'm confused. If you are asking about cutting spline slots with a tablesaw blade, what kind of blade does not cut flat-bottomed slots? AFIK all mine do. I've cut spline slots on several picture frames and never had a problem with this.
                Well, once I explain it, there's a chance that you'll have to re-do all the picture frames you've ever made, so read on at your peril:

The blade that I was using at the time was an alternating top bevel (ATB) blade, like so:

Some ATB blades include a square "raker" tooth to make flat bottoms; perhaps this is the type of blade you have:

If not....

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Hmm... I went down and looked at my saw blades and they are ATB. Also looked at one of the picture frames I made and if it isn't a flat bottomed spline I sure can't see it. So... is it a problem if you can't even see it? Or is that like a tree falling in the forest?
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Twin Cities, MN

Originally posted by crokett
                    So... is it a problem if you can't even see it?
                    By my definition, it's not even a problem unless someone else can see it.

And, yes, it really is pretty minor. I think you'd be hard-pressed to notice it at all, especially on the side of a picture frame. Once there's glue in there, and you sand a little, and add some finish....

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

• Garasaki
                      • Sep 2006

I'm doing finger joints made on my TS for a jewelry box for my wife. My blade isn't flat bottom, it leaves sort of a w in the bottom. It's definately noticable, at least to me. I thought about going out to buy a new blade but had neither the time nor funds to do so.

So, I'm embracing the W left behind. I'm going to fill it with clear epoxy and will result is a line of visible gaps in the joint. They all line up and are evenly spaced (I'll try to post pics sometime). I'm hoping it will actually look cool in the end.

I'm going to try to pass it off as an intentional design feature (technically it is) and whenever someone asks how I did it, I'm going to smirk and say "man it took me hours to hand chisel all those on there".

Think anyone will buy that??
                      -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                      -Henry Blake

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

In my case (single kerf cut) it was impossible to notice.

I did a little more research earlier, though, and found that some peoople suggested using a little super glue at the void before sanding. The glue bonds w/ the sawdust. Gotta work pretty fast, though. Only have a minute or two tops.

I tried that last night on a different void and it works quite well. I wiped some mineral spirits on the piece after I was done and it doesn't seem like it will affect the finish.

Comment

Working...