Cherry Finish - Which Wax on Boiled Linseed Oil?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • partialresponse
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Morgan Hill, CA, USA.
    • Ryobi BT 3000

Cherry Finish - Which Wax on Boiled Linseed Oil?

I'm finishing a cherry project with paste wax over three coats of boiled linseed oil (saw this in Woodsmith). Is it OK to use regular Johnson paste wax (the stuff in the short cylindrical yellow container) or do I need something more exotic? I've seen something similar from Minwax at HD (about $5 or so) and another product at Lowes which is significantly more expensive ($15 or so)...don't remember the brand.

I have already applied the linseed oil - waxing is all that's left to do.

Thanks
    Kofi
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I use Johnson't paste wax. It works very well, leaving the finish smooth as a baby's bottom.

You could choose other wax products. Beeswax is recommend by many, and I'd guess it gives a nice finish that fills in the pores well. There are also waxes with a tint that might enhance the color you're looking for.

I'll probably stick with Johnson's until the can runs out - sometim in about 2030 is my guess at this point.

JR
    JR

Comment

• linear
      • May 2004
      • DeSoto, KS, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I've used the Minwax with great results. I got a dented can for cheap a long time ago, and I'm looking to have to replace it in the 2030s sometime as well.
      --Rob

sigpic

Comment

Working...