X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chadi
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005

Bead board panel installation help

Hey everyone. Could I get some advice please. I'm going to be installing MDF bead board panels around my bathroom and could use some detail advice. I've never accomplished a project like this so I've been doing some research to make sure I approach things correctly. I will be carefully measuring everything so I can accurately define the high and low points and wall angles. during installation I will first dry fit everything than most likely glue and nail into the existing studs (i will not be cutting out the drywall to install backer boards). On top of the bead board I will be using a flat stock a bout 3 inches tall with a chair rail on top of that. I don't know if I should leave room for thermal and moisture growth in the MDF. We had the bathroom remodeled last year so i need to work around the existing window and the pedestal sink that is bolted to the wall (it will have to come out as I'm going to put the bead board behind it - will be cutting out larger opening to accomodate the water valves so i don't have to de-solder, lengthen and resolder, they are hidden under the sink basin so it won't be seen).

Thanks for any advice.

Chadi
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

You sound like you have it sorted out for the most part. Regarding the mdf, if you make sure its sealed on all sides it shouldnt expand at all.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• Chadi
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2005

Thanks for the sealing advice

Comment

• jcrenick
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2005
        • Virginia.

Make sure you hold any MDF slightly off the floor to avoid any moisture wicking up into it. The gap will be covered by the base molding.

Comment

• lrr
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Fort Collins, Colorado
          • Ryobi BT-3100

I'd avoid MDF in a bathroom. We remodeled a bathroom a few years ago, and I bought MDF baseboard, since it was primed white, and we were switching to painted woodwork, and going to paint it. I've had a few problems where moisture has gotten behind the baseboard.Unless you seal or paint the backside, or caulk really well, you will eventually have some moisture get in and cause it to swell.
          Lee

Comment

Working...