X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

What wood for kitchen rework?

We are considering a kitchen upgrade soon and I was looking at using hickory. The doors would be square raised panel and the drawer fronts would be solid stock. I would be using the existing shells and veneering the ends and faceframes.
    I found this thread after a search and it seems Tom was not happy with this wood and how it treated his tools.
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...hlight=hickory

The wood would be bought in the rough and planed down by someone else's equipment so I really don't want to make things difficult.
    Has anyone else worked much with hickory and had similar problems due to it being a hard wood and hard on tools?

Thanks all.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

We have recently done 3 kitchens worth of cabinetry at work. Didn't notice any blade/knife problems having done that. I am also remodeling out kitchen in rustic hickory -- haven't had any problems relating to the hardness of the wood.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

If you'd like to see a couple different looks with different woods, let me know.
      I can whip up a couple demos for you.

snowshoe@cpu-etc.com
      From the NW corner of Montana.
      http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

If you like the hickory I would just budget for some new knives or sharpening of the existing knives (depending on the type) as a "thank-you" to the person doing your planning. I sharpen mine before planning hardword of any type. If I forget, the planner seems to remind me. I do not think hickory will be that different from other hardwoods, I haven't worked with it so it is just an uninformed decision, however. I do know that the hardwoods I have worked with - hard and soft maple, cherry, walnut, and oak - all planned significantly harder than the softwood I've run through the planner. I couldn't really tell much difference other than hard and soft. If you used cherry instead of hickory, your cost for wood would increase by more than a couple sets of knives for most planners.

Jim

Comment

• LYU370
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Streamwood, IL.

Yeah, I'm thinking about refacing my kitchen cabinets in hickory as well. Currently have the old 80's style european laminate doors/drawer fronts. To try it out, I replaced the drawer fronts on a bathroom vanity, and in the process of making some doors. Didn't notice and additional wear or tear on my equipment. Actually I thought the hickory was fairly easy to work with.
          Andy

Comment

• rlah
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2006
            • Indiana
            • Craftsman 21829

I've been only woodworking for 8 months but we we've been lucky... I thought I should go with oak early on but decided against it... went with solid walnut for a low entertainment center, hickory/walnut floor cabinet, and curly maple telephone table... all have worked out *very* well... like I said we've been lucky. Then we decided on quarter-sawn red oak for a small end table and are very displeased with how the end-grain finished out... almost black. Comparing the end-grain of oak to the end-grain of hickory, my wife and I have almost decided we will never go back to oak and are thinking hickory holds a candle to curly maple.

I did not notice a difference in the machining of the hickory over the other woods... but I heard a worker at the hardwood supply say it was hard on tools... I'm not sure the difference is significant.

Comment

• Salty
              • Feb 2006
              • Akron, Ohio

Thanks for all the replies.
              Since the look of the hickory doors is so nice, I think we will keep on that track.
              What convinced me was the look of this kitchen.
              http://www.cabinetexpress.com/KITCHEN/HK-pioneer.jpg
              Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

Working...