Board for Oriental Carrom?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 3061
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

    #1

    Board for Oriental Carrom?

    I want to make a board for playing Oriental Carrom (different from its US mutation). See the pic here :

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Carrom_board.jpg

    This is a 29" x 29" square with pocket holes at the corners. I saw a couple in shops but in very bad condition, so making it might be easier (and cheaper). I am guessing a 1/2 plywood from HD/Lowes should be good, but the only problem is that the surface should be really (really) smooth. ( Checked the white-laminated surface there, but it has no grip at all on it for the pucks, which i am told is no good either).

    So how can I finish the standard 1/2" ply to achieve a real smooth surface? How about a couple of layers of tung oil topped by a couple of layers of polyurethane? Or would just the tung oil be good? Would I have a better chance if I use better quality ply from a lumber store?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • 1792
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #2
    I think I'd try a really good sanding, followed by an oiled finish on its own first - probably Danish Oil. You can build up a really good sheen with a number of coats. Trouble with poly is that you need to be absolutely dust-free to get a good result.

    I read that although some boards use powder, others are "specially treated" and only require the application of spray furniture polish from time to time. Unfortunately, I didn't find what "specially treated" involved! Maybe a visit to a Carrom Forum would help?

    Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

    Comment

    • radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • 3061
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

      #3
      Thanks Ray. I shall go the Danish Oil way to try this out.

      Only wonder how any finish is affected by regular use - as any 'game board' would be. Would it get better and smoother with time, or would it chip and flake? My intuition is that an Tung/Danish oil finish would get better (maybe with renewed applications every few months), while poly would start flaking out. Anybody care to confirm / correct that?
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

      Comment

      • RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • 1792
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

        #4
        Exactly my view, as long as it's correctly applied to a dry, dust-free surface. Be sure to completely remove any excess after around 10 - 15 minutes, buff then re-apply.

        Ray.
        Did I offend you? Click here.

        Comment

        Working...