X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wmartins
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006

Blade for cutting laminate floor

I'm planning to install HPL: High pressure laminate on a bedroom floor, and I'm no sure what kind of blade shall I use on my BT3100 to cut this material.
    40T, 60T ? ATB ?
    The manufacturer's brochure doesn't indicate that.
    Any suggestions ?
    The laminate is 0.33" Thickness, 7 3/4" Width, 41.5" Length.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Walter.
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I bought a Freud 7 1/2" circular saw blade, 40T, and mounted in my BT3100. Cost me only $15, and went through all the laminate I needed to cut with flying colors.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Laminate flooring is pretty rough on blades. There's some merit in the idea of buying an inexpensive 40T 7-1/4" blade and exhausting the blade on this project. A blade of that type would likely have ATB teeth.

The toughest grind is a triple chip (TCG), which will hold an edge longer than any other grind, so there's also merit in picking up a reasonably priced TCG blade and getting several projects, then resharpening it as needed.

The Freud LU82 is a 60T TCG blade for about $40, but there are many other choices.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JSCOOK
        • Sep 2006
        • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Dustmight is right on the money with the TCG for laminate flooring ... I'm (still) working on installing 1300 sqft of the stuff, and originally started out using a regular 60T ATB for cutting and it dulled it down in no time flat ... bought a Freud TK806L and a world of difference ... I got mine for $32USD from here (and I have no affilation with them at all other than a customer):

http://cripedistributing.com/freud-l...?reviews_id=19

Also, I'd shoot Brian at Holbren (www.holbren.com) an email and see what he's got for cutting laminates as well ...

Originally posted by Dustmight
        The toughest grind is a triple chip (TCG), which will hold an edge longer than any other grind, so there's also merit in picking up a reasonably priced TCG blade and getting several projects, then resharpening it as needed.

The Freud LU82 is a 60T TCG blade for about $40, but there are many other choices.
        "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I did 900+ sq feet of laminate in my house. I used a 2 blade set from HD, black and decker 10" blades. The 24T rip on the TS, and the 60T crosscut on the miter saw. The cuts will be hidden regardless. There is a 2 blade ryobi pack there now for 20$, probably the same blades.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...