• Show
Clear All
  • niki
    • Nov 2006
    • Poland
    • EB PK255

Cutting dado with hand router

Good day

I know, there are many jigs to cut dadoes with router.
    The problem is that part of them requires bearing guided bit that is more expensive and the commertial ones, yes, they cost and for amateure like me, that makes a few dadoes a year...

I would like to share with you my version.
    First, the router is "locked" between two fences and cannot "jump" incidently.
    Second, I know exactly where "the bit will hit" and
    Third, I can use any straight bit.
    I use it even to make loose tenon mortise.

The guide is made like the "T square - How to make" method so it's very accurate.

On the pictures, I made the marking example on MDF (for good contrast) but the actual routing, on chipboard

“See NOTE in text”
    When you see on the picture “See NOTE in text”, I did not have space on the picture to type:
    “You can make the same knife mark on the other side of the board and move the plate with the slot to the other side and check that the knife mark is at the same distance from the board edge. If it’s not, check the board for squareness or shim the T guide".

Regards
    niki

• niki
    • Nov 2006
    • Poland
    • EB PK255

Comment

• niki
      • Nov 2006
      • Poland
      • EB PK255

Comment

• niki
        • Nov 2006
        • Poland
        • EB PK255

Comment

• niki
          • Nov 2006
          • Poland
          • EB PK255

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I had the problem of not having the right sized bits for the dado. So what I do is use two router boards, like those in this post. I pick the router board for the biggest bit that is still smaller than the dado needed. I line up the top or bottom of the dado and clamp in place. Then I put the board that will be going in the dado against and tight fit the other router board and clamp. Then I remove the board going into the dado and run down each router board with the bit. It will cut the exact width needed for the dado. This has worked great with 3/4" plywood that isn't really 3/4". This is a much more refined version of that. Very nice description.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

Working...