• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gjat
    • Nov 2005
    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
    • BT3100

I need an idea to use PO Box doors

I've got a dozen of those brass post office box doors I picked up at a flea market. They have a combination and I want to use them to make some sort of box for my neices and nephews. I need to make at least 7, so I want it to be quick. I've got some free oak, mahogany and a good bit of different veneers (and of course, pine). Any cool ideas?
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

A bank! My dad has one he got as a gift (use to be a rural mail carrier). The door is the sixth side of a box. Have seen them where the door is on top and slot was in it. Have seen it where the door is on the side / front. I think it depends on the door, and the size you want to make.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• MilDoc

Have to second TheRic's answer.They make great looking banks, especially with dark wood like mahogany. I had one once. But the burglars who broke in loved it so much they stole it too!

Comment

• jdschulteis
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

There's a plan for a coin bank using a PO box door in the first issue of Woodcraft Magazine:
        Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.
        Jerry

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Comment

• gjat
            • Nov 2005
            • BT3100

Thank you all. Banks are what I'll make. I guess I was trying to be too fancy and use up some of the small veneer I got for next to nothing a year ago.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

QS White Oak sets off the brass door great. Any idea how to change the combination on these thing?
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by MilDoc
                Have to second TheRic's answer.They make great looking banks, especially with dark wood like mahogany. I had one once. But the burglars who broke in loved it so much they stole it too!
                Paul

Were they called "bank robbers"?

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• gjat
                  • Nov 2005
                  • BT3100

You can change the combination quite easily, by moving the pins, though to set the combination to certain letters is much more difficult. I'd have to have a combo in front of me. For example, if the 3rd (last) pin-dial is fixed to the front dial, you may be able to orientatate it to the 3rd letter you wanted and work your way backwards by moving the pins. I thought about doing that but too much trouble. If you use initials, everyone could open it and it's not secure. Kids won't want that. They need to think it's secret.

Comment

Working...