• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

A Case for Pencils

My four year old today asked me a very loaded question - "how come you have never made anything for me in your goodworking place?" (yes, she calls it 'goodworking', and i don't ever want to correct her ).

So, I want to try out something very simple to make for her, and feel a small pencil box would do nicely. This would be around 8" long and 2" (max) wide, to hold a couple of pencils, a 6" ruler and an eraser. Keeping it simple, I would just use rabbet-joins. I feel a slide-in lid would be appropriate, though maybe two tiny hinges would make it cuter. (Please feel free to point me to anything worth copying).

The question is - what wood do i use? I have some maple, cedar and mahagony (apart from the ever present pine). Can I mix (say) maple and mahagony? Like, will I have problems gluing them? Or maybe I could just make the lid with maple and the body with mahagony (or vice-versa)?

Also, will 3/4" wood make it too thick/heavy? Without a bandsaw will have to go looking for somebody to resaw it to 1/2 or 1/4" thick, but all in a good cause...

Of course, I will have to also make another one for her elder sister, and a couple for the neighbour's kids, so keeping it simple is all the more expedient.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • linear
    • May 2004
    • DeSoto, KS, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
    The question is - what wood do i use? I have some maple, cedar and mahagony (apart from the ever present pine). Can I mix (say) maple and mahagony? Like, will I have problems gluing them? Or maybe I could just make the lid with maple and the body with mahagony (or vice-versa)?

Also, will 3/4" wood make it too thick/heavy? Without a bandsaw will have to go looking for somebody to resaw it to 1/2 or 1/4" thick, but all in a good cause...

Of course, I will have to also make another one for her elder sister, and a couple for the neighbour's kids, so keeping it simple is all the more expedient.
    I'd go for the cedar--pencils are generally western red cedar, and the smell of working with the stuff gives me a pencil-sharpener moment every time. It will also make a lighter box than the others you named.

Another construction method if you have a router table is to hollow out your 3/4" stock by passing it across a wide, straight bit. (Dado stack would work as well.) You'll make a clamshell with a top and bottom, and you can rabbet ends onto it. That would let you use your 3/4 stock without a resaw.

Sounds like a cool project.
    --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That's a cool idea - hollowing out thicker stock! would automatically decrease the thickness as part of the design! I do have a router table, and a bunch of nice bits that are itching to be used . i think i shall have a go this weekend just for trial.

and yes, almost forgot the aromatic plus of cedar. love it, and will definitely use it.

thanks a bunch!
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• scmhogg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
        • BT3000

Rad,

I made this box for my son. It is a chopstick holder, but it could hold pencils.

The last picture is a cross-section of the body.

Keep up the "goodwork".

Steve
        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• kwgeorge
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Alvin, TX, USA.

Ok Steve, even though your Chopstick holder is very nice and I like it was this a “Stealth” showoff on that absolutely gorgeous table top? Man that’s pretty!

Ken

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by kwgeorge
            Ok Steve, even though your Chopstick holder is very nice and I like it was this a “Stealth” showoff on that absolutely gorgeous table top? Man that’s pretty!

Ken
            Man no kidding! That top deserves a Wolf whistle. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• linear
              • May 2004
              • DeSoto, KS, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

wow, I need to renistall my eyes in the sockets--they just popped right out.

Nice work Steve.
              --Rob

sigpic

Comment

Working...