• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Stain and topcoat kitchen cabinets?

Didn't have the time to diy the cabinets but am considering doing the finish myself. They will be stained to loml's spec. and then a protective finish. Am being told by the cabinet maker that it is best to install and then finish. He says most spray the stain, wipe off excess, allow drying time, spray a clear urethane finish but doesn't know what.
    I have a compressor and the hf 90977 hvlp sprayer. Will this do the job? What brand and type for the finish coat?
    All suggestions and advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I have been using a Gemini precatylised laquer that is sold at Kelly Moore stores. Easy to spray, thin with their laquer thinner. It does have a slight amber tint. They have a clear laquer but it requires a base coat.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by scoly
      Am being told by the cabinet maker that it is best to install and then finish.
      Can this possibly be right?

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about whether to install then finish. My opinion is to finish then install. You have complete control over the work when all is accessible. You can contain sanding debris, drips, overspray, and the general mess created during the process. You won't have to crawl into, under, or over anything, and you'll be able to get the proper lighting to see what you are doing.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• jabe
          • Apr 2006
          • Hilo, Hawaii
          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I agree with cabinetman. I spray all my cabinets then install. Laying the parts flat while spraying lessen the chance of having runs or drips.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

I've only completed 2 projects involving cabinets, but I couldn't imagine finishing once they were hung. It seems that would involved taping, masking, protecting walls and ceilings, etc. Also the potential sag potential of the finish.
            I certainly respect anyones opinion on finishing but I might get a second opinion on installing and then finishing.

Comment

• joesquyres
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2005
              • Portland, OR
              • Ryobi BT3100

Duravar and Capspray HVLP

I used a Capspray CS5000 HVLP gun to spray Duravar (ML Campbell) on the red oak cabinets and bookcases I made after staining with Watco Golden Oak. I am very please with the results. The HVLP works well. Duravar doesn't like temperatures below 60-65 degrees and be sure you use the correct amount of catalyst, retarder and thinner (Campbell's lacquer thinner). I use 10% catalyst, 10-15% retarder and 10-20% thinner depending on the temperature. I use a turbine which I think requires more thinner and retarder to be necessary due to the heated air.
              I have a simple viscosity cup I use to check the viscosity and adjust it with thinner as needed before spraying. I spray before installing. I also have a pressure feed two quart pot with six foot hoses so I can turn the gun upside down to spray. I use 8-10 psi in the pot.

I have some cabinets three years old that look brand new - so far so good.

Duravar does have some yellow to it. For golden oak this is insignificant. You may want to look at ML Cambell's other products if you need something that's truly clear.

Joe Squyres

Comment

• scoly
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003
                • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Thanks for all the responses. My feeling was the same regarding hanging then finishing. Think I'll go with the majority here.
                Steve
                It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

I just remodeled my kitchen and the cabinet builder (never does a finish), general contractor (can finish if he needs to) and painter all agreed that the cabinets go in first then get sprayed with laquer. I used Blum hinges so the doors were sprayed laying flat. they had to do a ton of masking and I had to do a ton of cleaning when they were done
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

Well, I can only tell you what I would do. I would build, finish, install. That's my opinion. I can see arguments as to why the pros might finish after installation. You might damage the finish slightly in some places, and laquer may be more difficult to touch up than a hand rubbed finish.

Laquer is a quick top coat, though I think you can do as well with just about any wipe on finish, just going to take longer. If you are spraying, laquer makes sense to me. Another argument though is that the solvents used in laquers are very toxic. They flash quickly, but are some of the worst of any of the finishes. I wouldn't want that in my main living area. Again, probably not a problem for new construction.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...