X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pcombs
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006

Will wood stain weaken wood glue?

I am in the home strech of finishing a coffee table and decided to pre-stain the pieces before doing final 'complete' assembly (I only glued and assembled those peieces that were horizontal).

Anyhow, I was using dowel joints and in my rush, I inadvantently got some stain into the dowel holes. My queston is, when I do final assembly and put wood glue into the dowel holes, will this joint be weak or not take when clamped and let to dry?

If so what is my recourse ?
  • offthemark
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Germantown, TN, USA.
    • BT3100

I've prestained and never had a problem with simple butt joints and glue. I would think that a dowel would certainly be no problem.
    Mark
    --------
    "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

• bigfoot
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2006

If it is a minwax type stain I would somehow sand out those holes, possibly use a smaller dowel chucked in a drill to make a 'flap sander' type rig, or if space allows, redrill for a larger dowel. Will it hold when you release the clamps, yes, will it weaken, loosen, and eventually fail, probably. Definately clean it out "just in case". depending on how bad it is, maybe some acetone on a q-tip would even get it 'good enough'.
      The voices made me do it.

Comment

• pcombs
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2006

It is minwax golden pecan stain and I have drilled a 3/8" size dowel hole. I would rather not drill a larger dowel hole since the rails are 3/4" thick. I have reinforced the corners with a hardwood triangle wedge held to the sides with screws.

Do you think this is sufficient ?
        Last edited by pcombs; 10-26-2006, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• bigfoot
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2006

The braces are probably good enough, might still try to get some finish out of the holes if ya can... At least a lesson was learned, always rethink twice before doing once
          The voices made me do it.

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

Here is what I would do: put a tiny, tiny drop of glue on a dowel the legnth on your hole, even a little shorter. Glue the dowel in place, so it is flush with or lower than the surface of your project. Finish. Using a hammer and a piece of 1/4" dowel, knock the dowel out of the hole. Assemble as normal.

and when I saw a little glue, I mean a little, as in 1/4 the size of a pin head. Just enough to keep the dowel in place with no structual renforcement
            Alex

Comment

• Doug Jones
              Established Member
              • Oct 2004
              • Indiana
              • Delta 36-444

Take a scrap dowel, sand it smaller than the hole, glue a piece of sand paper to the dowel and insert into hole rotating just enough to rough up the sides of the hole to give the glue something to adhere to.
              Just my 2 cents worth based on what I had read in the past.

Comment

• pcombs
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2006

Thanks for the tips. I tried to remove as much stain and scuffed the area a bit so that the glue could be absorbed into the wood. I also added corner braces screwed to the sides with #10 wood screws, the result a pretty strong rails to leg joint.

The prestaining was actually good because I did not end up with the ugly glue squeeze out.

Comment

• onedash
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Maryland
                  • Craftsman 22124

i did the same thing with some raised panels. The project is still underway but I didn't tape off the spots where the stiles and rails will be glued together. Im hoping it still holds..
                  YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...