Clear All
  • tlt
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Tucson, Arizona.
    • Delta 36-682

Design help - entertainment center shelf

Hi all,

I've been working on an entertainment center that is 4 parts -- the tv stand, two towers, and a shelf bridging the two towers. The tv stand is done (see post in finished projects), and the two towers are under construction, but I am having trouble conceptualizing how the middle shelf should work. As you can see in the sketch, it is just magically attached. The shelf is only going to hold a lightweight speaker, and a something like a picture frame in the cubby on the left and right, so it doesn't need to be bulletproof, but I'd like for it not to come crashing down.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    --tlt

PS -- just started playing with "Sketchup" yesterday. That's a great little program!
    Attached Files
  • bigfoot
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

screws from inside tower units to shelf would be hidden and would work.

keep it simple.
    The voices made me do it.

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

The middle shelf unit could be attached via 1x2 cleats attached to the towers. You could even use French cleats, if there's any reason you'd like to be able to pop the middle shelf unit off quickly and easily.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

To my eye, the ends of the middle unit look unresolved ... to make it best read like a unit, it needs an end panel and/or face frame with the same width as the shelves/dividers or face frame on these (I can't tell from your drawing whether there's a face frame), with the front edge of this sitting back a couple-few inches from the front of the two big towers.

Then attach with screws as bigfoot suggests, although they could go in from either side. (If the visible screw heads will be objectionable, cover them with plastic buttons or similar.)
        Larry

Comment

• bigfoot
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2006

Myself, I like the simple elegant look without a face frame, but now that I have looked again at the drawings, I see an open space between the towes and the tv stand. Is this space really there. I actually like the idea of open space, it just makes me once again say no to a face frame. if there is no real space there, then a face frame would work. But that's just my tastes speaking, and it isn't in my house..
          The voices made me do it.

Comment

• nadz
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2005
            • Rocket City, AL, USA.

tv size

i think the tv needs to be bigger =]
            -----------------------------------------------------------------
            Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

Many of these types of entertainment centers have the middle floating on top of the 2 side bookcases. If you wish to assemble it as shown, I would use barrel nuts and bolts from the inside. The reason for these "ikea" fasteners is that if someone knocks the bottom of either bookcase, there's the potential for a lot of leverage against whatever is holding the top together, and these connectors won't mill out and fail as readily as screws.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• jAngiel
                • Oct 2003
                • Ryobi BT3100

I would go to Sams or maybe Best Buy/Circuit City and look at similar pieces of furniture to see how the different manufacturers do it. Then copy the one that you think would work best. Furniture stores may have similar pieces too.
                James

Comment

• tlt
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Tucson, Arizona.
                  • Delta 36-682

Thanks for the ideas...keep 'em coming -- they are golden!

Here's the notion I'm getting from what I've read so far...I really like the idea of french cleats, due to easy alignment and removal. If I add a face frame to match the towers, these can be invisible by sliding in the "ends" of the shelf 3/4". Attach the cleats to the towers using barrel bolts and this will allow the towers to be used separately in the case my entertainment needs change...I've been trying to design this so that the 3 pieces can standalone if necessary, and this seems to be along the right route.

--tlt

Comment

• alvector1

I just finished something similar. Add sides to the center section and screw it to the towers. The sides will give you something to attach the back panel to anyways. You could use some pocket holes on the top to attach if you don't want to see them. You could put a cleat on each tower to set the center on.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

WOOD magazine's Sep 2004 issue had a plan that had a very simple way of doing this.
                      Check it out at WOOD Mag's Plan, or the picture :
                      Attached Files
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

Working...