• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Why Not Ash?

As far as I can tell, folks don't use Ash for projects very often. I have about 60 bf I bought at about $1/bf very rough from a fellow who had to close his shop a while back, and now another 125 bf is available in 6/4 thickness. I'm tempted to stock up at $2.25/bf but I'm wondering if there's a reason more folks don't use Ash, other than it's kinda bland in terms of figure and color.

Meantime, I'm going to turn some of what I already have in to a printer stand...one of these days.
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

I like to use Ash, Jack. Just not readily available. The figure can be a little blah, but try a coat of BLO on it before starting the finish.
    Let it soak for an hour and wipe it off. May need more to get the shade you like. It will get a tad darker after a few days. Let the BLO dry out a few days before sealing and finishing.
    Surprising how much figure there can be hidden in Ash.

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

A few members here have posted some very impressive projects in ash. Rickd's Mission dresser and Germdoc's blanket chest are the ones that immediately come to mind.

I agree with Ken, ash can look boring at first glance but it can surprise you with some really amazing figure (kinda like this one librarian in high school...).

That said, it is the straight grain on riftsawn boards that really attract me to this species. I find them perfect for rails and stiles on frame-and-panel assemblies.

Hey Ken, how 'bout swappin' some of 'em spalted maple for some Midwestern ash?

The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• Ken Weaver
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Clemson, SC, USA
        • Rigid TS3650

I used it to trim a sewing work station for the LOML. As Ken said, you just don't see it very available - although I do have 2 baseball bat blanks in the shop waiting for my turning skills to improve,
        Ken Weaver
        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• WoodButcher26
          Established Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Dayton, OH

For those of us who have it easily available right now, may want to enjoy it while it lasts. The county that I live in is alerted for the emerald ash borer, a little green beetle that is destroying the local trees. They've found the critter in several nearby areas, and it has a tendency to spread in wet years.

Right now, ash is readily available here for about 60% the cost of oak. Hope it lasts...
          Measure it with a micrometer...
          Mark it with a crayon...
          Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Ash, maybe not for long!

I use a lot of ash. First of all I have a good source; all I have to is cut the tree, have it band-sawn, kiln dry it then work to my hearts content. Added a 12 x 25 hobby (for LOML), computer, game room a couple of years ago. The floor is random width, screwed and pegged ash. Also use ash for bandsawn jewlery boxes, wooden wrist watchs, alternating between ash for the straps with walnut for the body and vise-versa. You can lightly stain it, use it with just tung oil or poly. Some of the grain is bueatiful! Sad note: We may not have ash around for too much longer. There is a bug working its way from out west that does about the same thing as Dutch elm blight...kills the tree. One of the "blessing" of importing so much wooden stuff from the Far East, or so the authorities think. Anyway, I'd say use it for as long as you can, its a nice hardwood.
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Stan
              • Mar 2004
              • Kalispell, MT, USA.
              • BT3100, Delta 36-717

I have been buying #1 common Ash from a local source, and often times find some very interesting pieces after planing. Here is one rather figured example:

I have made quite a few picture frames from Ash, often using Black Walnut inlays for contrasting colors. Tried using Ash for a few bandsawn boxes, but the sanding was a bit too intense for me to want to keep doing that.

Ash is also very good for featherboards and other jigs that require straight grain, as long as the Ash you purchase 'is' straightgrained.
              From the NW corner of Montana.
              http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

We have a dining room set from S.Bent that's solid ash in a medium brown color....I think it's stunning and have not tired of looking at the grain in over 10 years. The grain has a slightly bolder contrast to oak, and it's a bit more free flowing....IMHO it's much prettier. It's also really nice to work with. Go for it!
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Gentlemen (and Ladies), you've convinced me. Especially since it's cheaper than the 4x4 poplar I can buy locally, I think I'm going to blow the budget and buy all he has.

Comment

• HarmsWay
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Victoria, BC
                    • BT3000

My folks redid their kitchen cabinets in ash around '71 or so. Still looks great IMO. I have no idea how workable it is though.

Comment

• whitecobra
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
                      • BT3K with most accessories

Just finished doing our whole house in Ash flooring (did our own from board planks)
                      Doing the kitchen cabinets in ash (new doors faces and drawers leaving the carcasses they are fine) and about to do the kitchen moldings in ash
                      Took a REAL rooking from Internet Woods but the wood is easy to work with heavier then heck and sands well
                      No reason not to use it especailly if you want a light colored outcome

Doc
                      Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
                      www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Anyone ever use Ash to build a workbench? Any reason not to? It seems like a shame to resaw all that 6x4 and I could use a solid assembly table.

Comment

• Brian G
                          • Jun 2003
                          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                          • G0899

First, I've become very fond of using ash. I like using it for making shop furniture and faceframes for cabinets. I used it as the skirt and trim in my workbench. I've noticed that the ash I have milled can be a little brittle compared to other hardwoods I've milled. I think it has a wonderful aroma. . . smells a little like green olives, to me.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't make an excellent workbench. Getting the top dead-flat may take some patient milling, but it can be done.
                          Brian

Comment

Working...