• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WoodButcher26
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Dayton, OH

Water-based Poly

Has anyone found a good source for water-based poly recently? I've been using mostly oil-based for the past several years, my son and future D-I-L requested a clearer finish for a project I'm doing for them. I figured on water-base due to the non-yellowing effect it has.

Then, today I went to the store to pick up some poly to start the finishing process and just about had kittens. Double the price and then some for a product I really don't like as well, just not into paying nearly twenty bucks a quart for the stuff. Checked a couple of other stores, same story there.

Suggestions, anyone? Have not had great luck with the Minwax, that's the only brand I can find locally and I've got to get this done, the wedding is next week....

Kim
    Measure it with a micrometer...
    Mark it with a crayon...
    Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

This is a Rocker and a Woodcraft in Cincinnati. Both stores carry General Finishes, and have Polyacrylic.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

The Min-Wax brand works very well. Stir, don't shake it. If you spray it thin about 10% with water. If you brush it use synthetic bristle brush.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

Try an independant paint dealer. Down here we have a place called "Color Wheel". Some carry their own brands that are much cheaper than Min-wax. Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

water based poly

try a Sherwin-Williams store if you have one close by. they may be able to help. most of the time these people know their stains, paints and other finishes and methods. that is their business. eezlock

Comment

• glencross
            Established Member
            • May 2005
            • canoe, british columbia, Canada.

Originally posted by WoodButcher26
            Has anyone found a good source for water-based poly recently? I've been using mostly oil-based for the past several years, my son and future D-I-L requested a clearer finish for a project I'm doing for them. I figured on water-base due to the non-yellowing effect it has.

Then, today I went to the store to pick up some poly to start the finishing process and just about had kittens. Double the price and then some for a product I really don't like as well, just not into paying nearly twenty bucks a quart for the stuff. Checked a couple of other stores, same story there.

Suggestions, anyone? Have not had great luck with the Minwax, that's the only brand I can find locally and I've got to get this done, the wedding is next week....

Kim
            i used to use min wax but have now switched to varathane stains and finishes...easy clean up and little smell...don't know what you guys have to pay "down there" in the good ole us of a but up here in beautiful british columbia i pay 12.58 for a quart (946 mililitres)for stain,, varathane finish gloss is 19.28 for 2 quarts (approx) and 12.58 quart for pre stain. all prices in canadian dollars of course.quite a few stores have stopped stocking min wax now, for environmental reasons or something...incidentally, i find that varathane finishes seems harder than minwax but that my just be my fancy but there is a definite advantage in my opinion in using varathane, not the least of which is it does not yellow over time,low odour,water clean up and very scratch resistant.anyway, good luck.

Comment

• WoodButcher26
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Dayton, OH

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've checked with all of the local guys here, and seems that $14.85 a quart is the cheapest I'm going to find the water-based for...and considering I'm figuring on using about three quarts of it by the time I'm done, guess I'm resigned to the fact that I'm going to be putting out some bucks to finish this thing.

Wish I could find Varathane around here, though. All of the places I've checked have only had MinWax. Don't care for it nearly as well as the Varathane.
              Measure it with a micrometer...
              Mark it with a crayon...
              Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

Working...