Clear All
  • JohnnyLisa
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Pensacola, Florida
    • Sears Craftsman # 21829

Constructing cabinet door with mullions

Hello, all -
    I would like to construct a cabinet door with a single glass pane with overlaying crossed mullions. Can anyone tell me the right way to cut and attach the mullion strip edges?

Thanks, John
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

I'm not sure what you mean by cutting and attaching the strip edges. Are you referring to the ends of the mullions, where they attach to the frame around the glass? To the middle of the mullions, where they cross? To the underside of the mullions, where they meet the glass? I think of the edges as being the sides of the mullions, perpendicular to the glass, so I find your question confusing.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• JohnnyLisa
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2005
      • Pensacola, Florida
      • Sears Craftsman # 21829

Mullion ends

Sorry - that could have been a lot clearer. I mean the ends of the mullions where they attach to the frames and each other.

John

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

The answer is a secret and I can't tell you. No, really, just about any way that it will hold. Usually, the point at which they meet in the middle can be done with a cross lap joint. or a fitted joint like a mock MT joint. Depending on what detail you have on the frame, they can be fitted with a modified underlapped MT joint. That is one that the mullion is rabbeted and fits into a pocket on the back side of the frame. Pinning or glue and clamp will hold those members very well.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

Working...