• Show
Clear All
  • themachine
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • BT3100, General Intl. 220

Benchtop Covering

I bought some cheap but sturdy tables with rather thin tops that need to be reinforced. I was thinking of options like 1/2-inch MDF covered with laminate flooring or hardwood-faced plywood that would get finished, when I noticed melamine-covered (white) 3/4-inch particleboard available in several widths and lengths that is predrilled with 1/4-inch holes for shelf pins. I got to thinking about laying two or three of these side by side to serve as a workbench surface, affixing them with screws through to the table underneath. With the pin holes spaced across the table top, you could use shelf pins of several varieties, plus wedges, to create a system of benchdogs to hold just about anything in place while you work on it. You could create special horizontal clamps by fabricating scrap blocks in useful shapes and driving through nails that fit the pin holes. Since the holes would be square to each other, you can crate an almost endless variety of clamps to hold rectangular or square glue ups. If a lot of pounding were involved, I think you would have to lay some plywood or other protective layer on the melamine, otherwise it might get destroyed. The price for these sheets runs about $17 for a 12 X 96 inch. Any thoughts on the weaknesses of this approach? I know it is not the same as a three-inch thick maple top, but I don't think I need that.
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I don't think 1/4" shelf pin holes in particle board are going to hold up to being used as dog holes.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• emjr
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006

Tom Miller is probably correct--I have seen this material chip out divots from what seemed like very minor stresses. That said, there are also 30-inch wide panels of melamine available that also have the holes drilled down their length. If you try it, might that be a smoother surface? (no joints in the benchtop)

Comment

Working...