• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Costco Pallets

Ok, I was walking through Costco with my wife and 2 yo Daughter yesterday. It was near closing, so I didn't get to ask my question I stumbled across...

Anyone ever ask Costco people what they do with their Pallets. I noticed most (if nto all) were 3/4" MDF tops with the standard 1x4 planks, and also what looked like 4x6. I figure the pallets were maybe 3'x3' or 4'x4'.

Could make some nice practice project or shop cabinet lumber.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Considering cost is very important to them, my guess is the pallets are probably reused. I know Walmart does, I've asked. I also asked a Walmart mgr for some boxes once. He said no since I guess the store gets $$$ from a recycler or some such.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

For the most part Costco uses Chep (blue) or Peco (red) pallets. They are 42" x 48" and are leased to Costco. As such they would not be for sale or given away. Standard grocery pallets that Costco uses have to be #1 or #2 and sell for $7.00 to $15.00 each.

I know all this from years of dealing with Costco both as a driver and as a Fleet Manager. Pallets is big business these days and as such is rarely a good source of cheap or free lumber.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...