• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Hot Glue for Melimine?

I will be assembling a bunch of knock down melimine cabinets with dowels and confirmat screws. some parts use hot glue during assembly. anyone know what glue I should use? general purpose for plastics?

btw the cabs are from cabparts and are going into my new kitchen. I'll post pics when they are finished.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Hot glue burns your fingers and sticks them together really good. If you bought these cabinets as KD, I would only use only what comes with the installation materials, and follow the instructions to a "T", not to overtighten any of the screws. I wouldn't alter what they provide for assembly. The sizes of all the parts are very critical if you are going to achieve a successful assembly. DAMHIKT.

As far as hot glue, I've never heard of that being required for an assembly of a KD system. What is usually required from the ultimate user is ordinary household tools. But to answer your question, I would guess that a glue that is designed for plastics would work. I haven't found an appreciable difference in any of the types except for the "set-up" time, which isn't that long for any of them.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

I believe the hot glue is for gluing in the backs although they are dadoed in. from the research I have done the glue is not critical. there is not much instructions with the cabs, they are coming from a friend that is a local cab installer. the whole order comes on one pallet, they are not the IKEA or home depot mail order type stuff. luckily he will be helping me out. (and selling me everything at cost)

they'll be finished off with cherry shaker style doors.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

There is a special glue for melamine that works like yellow glue - you squirt it on and it dries. I have used it and it works fine. It also sticks to your fingers and is near impossible to get off when dry. I think it is made by either Franklin or the company that makes Tite-bond. I got it at one of the big box stores.

Comment

Working...