Removing bees wax?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jl
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2003
    • 91
    • Nova Scotia, Canada.

    #1

    Removing bees wax?

    Last week I turned a curly maple bowl for a friend. I finished it with a coat of paste wax (mix of beeswax and row linseed oil). My friend would like me to put a more durable finish on it, like danish oil. The piece is to be displayed at the hardwood mill, where he works.

    Do I have to remove the beeswax first? How would I do that?

    Thanks for your help.
    Jean-Luc
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • 2507
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

    #2
    I guess I'd start with mineral spirits, and progress to lacquer thinner until you think you're getting it.

    Any chance you can re-chuck it and lightly sand?

    Regards,
    Tom

    Comment

    • jl
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2003
      • 91
      • Nova Scotia, Canada.

      #3
      Thank you Tom. I'll try that.

      I thought about putting it back on the lathe, but I can not. There is nothing left to grab and I don't have a vacuum chuck.
      Jean-Luc

      Comment

      • scmhogg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • 1839
        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
        • BT3000

        #4
        Jean-Luc,

        Mineral spirits will dissolve wax. But, it will also allow the wax to penetrate more deeply.

        I would use the MS to get the majority of wax off the surface and let it dry thoroughly. I would then finish with several coats of shellac. Most shellac already has some wax in it and should not have any adhesion problems on your bowl.

        Zinssers has a pre-mixed shellac and a French polish, if you don't want to go through the hassle with flakes and alcohol.

        Steve
        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

        Comment

        Working...