• Show
Clear All
  • sleddogg
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Reedsburg, WI
    • Ryobi BT3100 Italian blade

Culrly natural Birch

I have an 8' x 7" 4/4 rough sawn board with so much curl in it it literally looks like end grain in between some of the rays. Being a newbie I'm not sure what to do to smooth it out. I want to make four book matched panels for flat panel doors for an entertainment center. I figure I'll cut to rough length, resaw, face joint, edge joint, thickness plane, (close to desired thickness), cut to width, cut to length and edge glue into panels. Then hope to smooth out grain undulations with a scraper. Am I on track here? Also is there anything I can use to fill the grain if indeed there is no smoothing out the "tearout" caused by cutters in the grain change? I'll try and post a pic so you can visualize the drastic grain directions in this board.

P.S. How do I post a picture here from my digital camera?
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

Originally posted by sleddogg

Probably easiest to download the pic from your camera to your PC first. Then click on the "attachment" icon (looks like a paper clip) and follow your nose from there...

Also, take a look at this thread for tips.
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by sleddogg
      I have an 8' x 7" 4/4 rough sawn board with so much curl in it it literally looks like end grain in between some of the rays. Being a newbie I'm not sure what to do to smooth it out. I want to make four book matched panels for flat panel doors for an entertainment center. I figure I'll cut to rough length, resaw, face joint, edge joint, thickness plane, (close to desired thickness), cut to width, cut to length and edge glue into panels. Then hope to smooth out grain undulations with a scraper. Am I on track here? Also is there anything I can use to fill the grain if indeed there is no smoothing out the "tearout" caused by cutters in the grain change? I'll try and post a pic so you can visualize the drastic grain directions in this board.

sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a drum sander.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

I tend to agree with Mike, a drum sander or wide belt sander is the best way to handle a piece of stock such as that one. If you have a local lumber yard, they may have one that you can use or they can run it for you.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• Otter
          • Nov 2003
          • Cumming, GA, USA.
          • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

If you can't afford the drum sander, you could do a router rail type of setup. Here look at this....

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ghlight=Router

Hope it helps
          All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• sleddogg
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006
            • Reedsburg, WI
            • Ryobi BT3100 Italian blade

Pics

When I try to upload pictures it says the file sizes are larger than the maximum allowed for that file type.

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

I can't remember off hand, but I think they need to be smaller than 512 wide or so. You should be able to resize them in most photo editing software packages. Even MS paint can do it. (though not well)
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

I believe the file size has to be less than 90k
                k

Comment

Working...