This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Build a guitar?

Anyone ever built a guitar (ie, latest Woodcraft magazine)?

Lots of nice kits available and they look fascinating. I sure don't have the skill to start from scratch. If you have, what was your experience? It's obviously not easy, so what were the biggest hurdles?
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

OH please, don't get him started. He's MAD I TELL.. MAD!!! The tundra has frozen his brain and thawed it out to many times. You know what happens to meat after you re-freeze it..

Seriously though. TundraMan makes a dang fine guitar. Hopefully he'll post a link to his site.

BTW: Did you know tar means "string" in Persian? The "gui" in front of "tar" means 6 strings. There is also sitar,dutar and others.

Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I started an electric guitar last fall, but have winter weather, the honeydew list, and other recent events have pulled me away from it lately. It's not easy, and there's lots to learn, but don't be discouraged. Grizzly sells several kits. Ebay is a good source for parts. A very useful instrument making website was recommended to me, and it may be helpful to you....good luck!

http://mimf.com/

Stewmac is a good source for parts as well:
      http://stewmac.com/
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I did build a fretless electric bass about 10 years ago. My first big project, actually, with lots of help from my dad. That was from scratch, turned out well, although it has a few flaws that I know about, and is a bit on the heavy side. But solid body guitars are not too bad to do from scratch.

As for an acoustic like in Woodcraft, I think a kit is a great idea for a first (or second) guitar. I will probably get a kit once I have some other projects done. If you go to the website of the author, the Grizzly kits aren't considered very good, although the owner of grizzly apparently has made some very nice instruments.

For the sliod body, the hardest part for me was shaping the neck, and that's where the biggest flaw is. I took away a little too much material in one area at the edge of the fingerboard. I don't know how much of the shaping is already done for you in the kits.

If you decide to get one, take lots of pictures and post them here!

Jim

Comment

• Tundra_Man
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by bmyers
          OH please, don't get him started. He's MAD I TELL.. MAD!!! The tundra has frozen his brain and thawed it out to many times. You know what happens to meat after you re-freeze it..
          Guitar? Did somebody say guitar? I was wondering why I suddenly started salivating!

Yeah, I've made a few. It's a very do-able project, although you might have to purchase a few specialized tools and learn some new techniques.

The Musical Instrument Maker's Forum (http://www.mimf.com) has a huge wealth of knowledge available. If you register (free) you can access their library which covers about any question of which you may ever think. Don't worry, they don't spam you or do anything ugly with your information.

The absolute best resource is a book called "Build Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock. It's available through the MIMF above (as well as other places, but if you order it via the MIMF they get a support kickback.) It's the guitar builders bible.

You can build from a kit for your first instrument to help you learn the ropes, but just remember it won't give you as much satisfaction as starting from scratch. Some people also build the body but purchase a neck because it looks intimidating. To me building the neck is the most enjoyable part of the process, and what really gives the guitar its "personality", so I encourage doing that yourself as well.

My signature below has a link to my web site. If you go to the gallery, then click on the different guitars, you can get to the pages that show the step-by-step process of the guitars being built.

Hope this helps. I warn you though, building guitars is the woodworking version of crack. Once you start you get addicted.
          Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• BadeMillsap
            • Dec 2005
            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
            • Grizzly G1023SL

Indeed!!! Give it a shot ... very fulfilling

I have, over the last 20 years or so built 4 or 5 solid body electric guitars (one out of solid mesquite which is really nice) .. several "from the tree" vs from a kit, 3 or 4 acoustic steel string guitars all "from the tree", a 5 string banjo and an "A" style mandolin both from kits. All for my own enjoyment not as a money making proposition (money COSTING much more like it!!)

It's actually what got me interested in woodworking.

Definately, if you are a player, building and then playing your own instrument has a certain satisfaction (after the first few 'learning' efforts at any rate) that is hard to find elsewhere (tantamount to driving a car you retored/built or flying a plane you built yourself I suppose).

I would suggest you investigate places like Stewart MacDonald (http://www.stewmac.com/) as a source of plans, books, materials, kits as well as Luthier's Merchantile International (http://www.lmii.com/) and even the Guild of American Luthiers (http://www.luth.org/) in addition to the excellent suggestion of Tundra Man regarding MIMF.

It's a BIG and very active pursuit with lottsa really friendly folks out there in the ether (internet) very willing to share their own experiences much like this forum!!

Bade
            "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
            Bade Millsap
            Bulverde, Texas
            => Bade's Personal Web Log
            => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• BrazosJake
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Benbrook, TX.
              • Emerson-built Craftsman

I believe the founder of Grizzly or someone higher up a luthier and into guitars in particular. I've seen "luthier-grade" veneers in their catalog. They may even offer some kits

If you get DirectTV, get DIY Network. The have a regular program titled "handmade music". I Tivoed one on guitars recently:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dhmm

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by BrazosJake
                I believe the founder of Grizzly or someone higher up a luthier and into guitars in particular. I've seen "luthier-grade" veneers in their catalog.... http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dhmm
                Higher up than the founder of Grizzly? You mean God plays guitar?! Thought he was into harps!
                Last edited by Knottscott; 08-07-2006, 02:16 PM.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Benbrook, TX.
                  • Emerson-built Craftsman

LOL:-)

I mean't a "higher up" in Grizzly.

The guitar show on DIY was very interesting, the guy applies a French polish to his guitars.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.
                    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Come on guys, guitars can't be THAT hard. Try building a trumpet out of wood, and then you'll impress me.

Just kidding, of course. This thread kinda has me wanting to build a bass. Wasn't great when I did play, but it was fun. I was definately better at trumpet, but then again, I played trumpet for nearly 20 years before I quit. Played bass maybe...a year?
                    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• 91FE
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

Originally posted by bmyers
                      ...Did you know tar means "string" in Persian? The "gui" in front of "tar" means 6 strings. There is also sitar,dutar and others.
                      I guess I'm not the only one listening to NPR on the ride home from work.
                      I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• bmyers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Fishkill, NY
                        • bt 3100

I guess I'm not the only one listening to NPR on the ride home from work.
                        Doh! You got me!!

I wouldn't jack otherwise.

Bill
                        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

Working...