• Show
Clear All
  • KLF
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • Barrington NH
    • BT3000 (of course)

Looking for big hinge screws

I'm in the middle of replacing a couple of very heavy 90-min rated fire doors at the office. The doors are in metal jambs, and they hang on 4-1/2" ball-bearing hinges. Heavy duty stuff.

This is at least the 3rd set of doors that have been installed in this jamb, so all the hardware is getting pretty chewed up, some of the phillips heads hardly have any "grip" to them anymore, so I want to get new screws.

And that's where the problem starts. The screws are #12x1-1/4" flathead "hinge screws", meaning they have the same pitch as a wood screw but they are fully threaded. The docs that came with the doors state that you must use these type of screws on these doors, they even specify the size of hole to drill, etc. I have been to several hardware stores and even a Fastenal, I can't find them.

I can't use a sheetmetal screw, the thread pitch is different.

I can't use stainless screws, not a lot people know this but stainless steel is actually very weak. I wouldn't trust them with this heavy door.

I can't use wood screws, they are not full-thread.

Any ideas where to get them? So far I've stumped every place I've been.
  • thiggy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Alabama.
    • Craftsman Contractor

You might try http://www.mcmaster.com/
    or: www.mcfeelys.com
    SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

Try entering 93380A400 in the McMaster-Carr search. Not as long as you are looking for, but if it's going into metal it might work.
      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...