X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brooks
    Established Member
    • May 2006

Big rust - how to fix?

I have a small compressor but it weighs nearly 70 pounds so I want to put it on a rolling platform. I found an old dolly for free (looks something like http://www.jasco.com.au/files/images...0Handtruck.jpg) but it's totally rusty on the platform part. I can't decide how to handle it. It's the right size and the right price - if I don't have to buy a sandblaster to fix it.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by brooks; 07-19-2006, 03:57 AM.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Belt sander, with a 40, 60, or 80 grit belt. It's what I use on my big arn. Works great.
    Larry

Comment

• MoldnMaker
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • McKenzie, TN, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Here a couple solution:

-steel brush for loose stuff and steel wood for fine stuff(sos pads would do)
      -go to Lowes and pick up a bottle of naval jelly, it works great, but you still need to brush the loose stuff off first.
      -and lastly get a cheap sand blaster from Wal-mart or HF. They are only about $15 and good enough to get the job done if your compressor can keep the pressure up. The blasting medium can be had for less than $10 for a 20-50 lb bag.
      "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." by Albert Einstein

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

use a wire brush to knock off the loose stuff, then get a small can of POR-15 or Rust Bullet and paint it.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

If you have a 4 1/2" grinder, go with a course knoted wire wheel. Makes short work of claning the surface. I will second Mike's suggestion on the Rust Bullet.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• jabe
            • Apr 2006
            • Hilo, Hawaii
            • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I agree with Russianwolf, get a can of POR 15, good stuff.

Comment

• sbs
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • VA
              • BT3.1k

Originally posted by brooks
              I have a small compressor but it weighs nearly 70 pounds so I want to put it on a rolling platform. I found an old dolly for free (looks something like http://www.jasco.com.au/files/images...0Handtruck.jpg) but it's totally rusty on the platform part. I can't decide how to handle it. It's the right size and the right price - if I don't have to buy a sandblaster to fix it.

Any ideas?
              You can get a wooden moving dolly for $15-20 at HD/Lowes/etc.

Same as this:

Probably gonna take more than $15-20 of labor to clean and paint that thing...

Comment

• brooks
                Established Member
                • May 2006

SBS has a good idea - it might be cheaper to toss it and buy a rolling thing, I saw something like that for sale at Harbor Freight. Even one pint of rust converter is $10 and I'd still have to pour primer and paint on it.

Comment

• brooks
                  Established Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Pappy
                  If you have a 4 1/2" grinder, go with a course knoted wire wheel. Makes short work of claning the surface. I will second Mike's suggestion on the Rust Bullet.
                  How much is Rust Bullet?

Comment

• Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                    • One of them there Toy saws

About the same as POR-15, but no primer or paint needed. As long as you like Silver.

Rust Bullet provides the finest rust preventative products and concrete paint, which is UV-resistant. Visit our website to learn more.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• d_b_wells
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Nov 2005

I bought a drill press locally off Ebay just a couple of weekends ago and I was disappointed at the amount of rust on the thing--thought I had gotten screwed over big time. Went to Sears (I think most Sears are carrying this now) and bought the shrinkwrapped Rust-Free/Boeshield T9 pack for $20.

With a couple of good treatments of Rust Free and a little scrubbing with coarse, then fine, steel wool, the darn thing looks like new. Really.

Protected with Boeshield T9 after that (it must be some kind of spray wax in a petroleum base--like motorcycle chain wax); they sell it to be compatible with wood finishes--I hope it is).

There's still a lot of both the Rust Free and the T9 left. The Rust Free is acidic (Phosporic I think) so you have to have good ventilation (It's really stinky). But I'm a believer!

Comment

• brooks
                        Established Member
                        • May 2006

I use Boeshield though I'm low on it right now. I'll check out the rust remover too. I didn't know it was at Sears. Thanks!

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Biggest advantage of Rust Bullet over other products of this type is the lack of prep required. Clean the loose rust, apply first coat, wait a couple of hours and apply the second coat.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

Working...