• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

A question on casters.

Here's a question about casters. Suppose a caster is rated out to 200lbs. Does it mean that a platform with four of those will hold up to 800 lbs of weight (evenly distributed)? Or anything over 200 lbs will get all four casters squished?
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The former. The caster mfr doesn't know how many casters will be used to support a given load. Could be two (rolling ladder), could be three (triangular platform that will always keep all three points in contact with the floor), could be the usual four, could be more.

In the usual four-caster setup, casters should only be loaded to about half their rated capacity, to take into account times when an uneven floor will result in only two temporarily supporting the entire load.
    Larry

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Another point to consider is how easily the casters will move. Although this is a little harder to quantify, being conservative in your loading generally results in an easier-rolling caster. I also think this becomes more important as the load gets heavier.

I have a rolling lumber cart that, while not being in danger of collapse, is a little harder to roll over small bumps, etc. than I'd like.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• bigsteel15
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Edmonton, AB
        • Ryobi BT3100

This is taken from my local suppliers website
        http://www.casterland.com/webstore/s...rie.asp?cat=11

Wheel Selection:
        There are many types of wheels, each providing distinct advantages when matched to the correct application. Choosing the right wheel will increase the life and performance of both the wheel and the caster.

Bearing Maintenance:
        Wheel and caster bearings need to be LUBRICATED regularly to reduce drag and improve reliability.
        Brian

Welcome to the school of life
        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

For heavier loads, I pay a bit more and get casters from Darnell-Rose. Swivels are on double row bearings and the axles/bearings are smooth.

For lighter/medium loads, I get casters from Grizzly. They are reasonably priced and decent quality. Usually go on sale every summer.

In all cases I avoid the ones sold at HD, Lowe's, and HF!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Well, casters at HD turned out OK. I grabbed some $6 casters rated at 175lbs there, and built a small platform (48x19") from one 2x6 and one 2x4. The purpose was to accept a ~400-500lb old cast iron heat exchanger from an old boiler and survive the trip from utility closet to garage. And survive it did. Was not even that hard to roll. Thanks!

Comment

Working...