Buffing?????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MilDoc

    #1

    Buffing?????

    I was looking for a buffing wheel / system to buff bandsaw boxes to a high shine. On Amazon there are so many options I'm lost! Some wheels attach to a benchtop grinder, others to a drill, others to I don't know what. The BT grinder wheels don't seem like a good choice as it would be hard to get to all parts of a box. I was consiedring this:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

    Any comments, or what do you use?
  • DJehlik
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006
    • 49
    • Walnut Creek, CA
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

    #2
    Many of the folks around here use the Beall System.

    http://www.bealltool.com/products/

    Comment

    • Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • 10490
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

      #3
      Most drills are not going to develope the RPM's needed for what you want. Stand alone buffing machines can run big $$$. Unless you are going to get a lot of use out of them it might be hard to justify.

      I have thought about mounting a keyless Jacobs chuck to one end of my grinder and using the 3 and 4 inch pads sold for drill use. The motor speed is close to the speed of buffer motors.
      Don, aka Pappy,

      Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

      Comment

      • newbie2wood
        Established Member
        • Apr 2004
        • 453
        • NJ, USA.

        #4
        Flitz is a metal polish commonly used in gunsmithing. Contrary to the manufacturer's assertion, I have found it to be abrasive.

        For woodworking, buffing is commonly done with a buffing wheel attached to a stationary grinding machine or a handheld grinder. I would buff and polish for a high gloss finish. Polishing compounds can be found in automotive stores.

        BTW, I dislike buffing even more than painting.
        ________
        WEB SHOWS
        Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 04:29 AM.

        Comment

        • 25
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 294
          • League City, Tx, USA.
          • BT3100

          #5
          I have used my Ryobi 10" drill press for buffing, just set it on the highest speed and away you go. It works quite well.

          Comment

          • John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • 2034
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

            #6
            I picked up an 8" buffing wheel on sale at Harbor freight, mounted it on my 8" grinder and have been pleased with the job it does. I see they also have a bench unit on sale for $59.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40668
            John Hunter

            Comment

            • Tom Hintz
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2004
              • 549
              • Concord, NC, USA.

              #7
              I have become a Beall buffing addict and use it on nearly anything I can hold up to the wheel. The results are remarkable and nearly always much faster than more traditional finishing methods.
              I have a review of this system at the link below with photos and more details than can be presented here.

              http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/beallbuffrvu.html
              Tom Hintz
              NewWoodworker.com LLC

              Comment

              • cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • 15216
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

                #8
                I've mounted a spare electric motor, and pully and arbor, with pillow blocks, and the shaft was long enough to stack several buffing wheels at a time. Some motors have an extra long shaft that can be used for this. I find motors at flea markets and garage sales. The buffing thingie you talked about might be suited for what you want to do. Give it a try and keep us posted.



                "I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

                Comment

                Working...