• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Flooring on bench question???

I am building a new bench and I am planing on putting 3/4" x 2 1/4" solid maple flooring on the top. The sub-top that I am going to fasten it to is 30" x 60" x 2 1/2" pine. My questions are:
    1. Can I glue it down or does it need to be nailed?
    2. If I can just glue it what glue should I use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I nailed it. I got to thinking that if it did let go I would have a glue mess to deal with. Thanks for the responses. Scotty if I do this again I will use your MDF & lam solution. This was a lot of work. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the vice mounted.
    Chas
    Last edited by charliex; 06-17-2006, 10:39 PM. Reason: I nailed it.
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

I'm not sure how much expansion/contraction you are likely to see in that small of an area - but generally, when placing two different species of wood together, it is understood that they will each expand at different rates, and if you don't plan/allow for that, you will have trouble (cracking, buckling or cupping).

I don't think glue would allow the two woods to expand as they need to.

I think your best bet in this case is to use a finish nailer and shoot it to the top through the tongue; install it just as you would on the floor. Face nail the first and last row; or alternately, drill and counter boar, screw and plug.

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Check this guy out

Scottydont,do a search of members.

Scott
      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Scottydont
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Edmonds, WA, USA.
        • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Glue or nails? I guess it depends on what you expect from the work surface. Glue up, assy or general usage? Do you ever want the option of replacing the top? Glue up tables should be as flat as you can get. Nailed tops may have slight bows and warps that may affect the accuracy of your assy and glue ups. Glued tops would be better for this type of work but are hard to replace. If gluing I prefer Titebond2. IMHO, I think the cautions about wood shrinking and contracting at different rates on shop cabinets and such are a bit blown out of proportion. I live where the annual temps in the shop range from 40-85 degrees and humidity between 30-70%. I have never had any joint or warpage issues in my shop with wood or manufactured laminate. Now if you are talking about fine furniture that is another subject.

In my case, I love the look of a traditional bench made from hardwood but I have since become to really enjoy the look and durability of using 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF top with laminate flooring trimmed in hardwood. I like them both because they are very dimensionally stable and dead flat. Glue can be carefully removed with a sharp chisel. Some of my neighbors and family have had me build them custom benches from it and it works great. I have had my benches for 3 years and they look brand new except for the wood trim but thay can be replaced.
        Last edited by Scottydont; 06-17-2006, 01:40 PM.
        Scott
        "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

Working...