This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Log drying time?

Some of you may remember that oak wilt killed 39 live oak trees on my property. Having them removed this week, and trying to salvage a few for wood. Most are 6-12" diameter, 3-4' long. I've coated the ends with AnchorSeal. The logs will be stored in open air, covered from rain.

How long do they need to dry before I can resaw them on my bandsaw?
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

I can only speak on my experience as I am no expert on this but since the rule of thumb on drying wood is 1 year per inch of thickness I think I would go ahead and cut the wood up. When I am preparing my turning wood from logs I will cut the wood up wet with the chainsaw and then on to the band saw with a 3 tooth blade. I then cut it oversized and seal the end grain.

Comment

• dedaddy
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Dallastown, PA, USA.
      • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

You can saw the wood as soon as the tree is cut. But you have to stack it with stickers and make sure the ends are coated. I had some cut 4/4 thick and it took it a little over a year to dry in my garage.
      Lee
      =============
      I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

Roughly 1 year per inch of thickness for boards, up to 4 inches. Thicker than that, around 2 years per inch from what I have found.
        For logs, this may be interesting.
        http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fplrp613.pdf

I find this interesting, taken from here:
        http://www.americanheritage.com/arti...997_2_24.shtml
        "
        Growing in coastal areas of the southeastern United States between Virginia and Texas (a little also grows in western Cuba), live oak (Quereus virginiana) gets its name from the fact that it does not lose its leaves in winter. Known for its slow growth, massive gnarled trunk, and long, expansive limbs that can reach out horizontally forty feet or more, the tree produces one of the densest and hardest woods in the world. Unless dried in a kiln, it is heavier than water and will sink. Most important for shipbuilding, milled live oak lumber gets even harder when left out in the weather.
        "
        ken

Comment

• MilDoc

Didn't know you could saw them immediately. If I do that, aiming for 4/4 or 5/4, stack and sticker, with ends coated, is there anything else I need to do to hopefully ensure nice, flat non-cracked boards?

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by MilDoc
            Didn't know you could saw them immediately. If I do that, aiming for 4/4 or 5/4, stack and sticker, with ends coated, is there anything else I need to do to hopefully ensure nice, flat non-cracked boards?
            Some weight, like concrete blocks, on the top, and pray, Paul.
            k

Comment

• Wood_workur
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Ohio
              • Ryobi bt3100-1

put them in a box made from a tarp, and use a de-humidifyer constantly towards the end of drying will help- its like a mini-kiln. Not exactly kilnd dried wood, but better than air dried.
              Alex

Comment

Working...